Douglas/On Mark B-26K/A-26A Invader

Iain

On 1/17/2022 at 4:11 PM, brahman104 said:

I've had a go at printing those R-2800s as well. He did an amazing job on them and even better, that he graciously made them available for free. What a legend!!! :)

I couldn't quite get the ignition harness to work out on my printer, but everything else was fine. I'll be interested to see how yours turn out Iain!

Craig

any chance someone can send me a copy of the .stl files for the engines so I can get a set printed by a friend, or put me in touch with the owner of the .stl files.

Finish the Connie?

Me?

Erm, no - but it has been out again recently - trying to get my CAD skills up to speed to draw up the cowlings/nacelles so I can print them.

Photos have been a great help though Bruce - and that was a long time ago now...

Iain

I'm sure I remember someone suggesting that the 'research' for some kits must have been based on a phone call giving a loose description of what the subject looked like, rather than any empirical data. ;)

This is one of those kits IMHO.

Although *some* of the outlines aren't bad - so drawings *must* have been used from somewhere - just not very good ones!

I'm still thinking through the fuselage cross sections - this will be pretty major as the kit has vertical, slab sides, rather than curves.

I may be some time...  :deadhorse:

Iain

On 1/31/2022 at 3:07 PM, thierry laurent said:

Hi Bruce,

Alas the pylons do not seem to come from another aircraft.

Thierry

Hunh.  I would have thought they would have used standard US/NATO pylons rather than some in house design on the real thing - supply chain commonality and all that.  If you are referring to the appearance of the kit pylons, wonder what the chances are that they are just as inaccurate as the rest of it.

39 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hunh.  I would have thought they would have used standard US/NATO pylons rather than some in house design on the real thing - supply chain commonality and all that.  If you are referring to the appearance of the kit pylons, wonder what the chances are that they are just as inaccurate as the rest of it.

No, I'm basing my conclusions on pictures of the real On Mark ones. By the way the initial pylons were somewhat different. Keep also in mind few similar planes (if any) were still used by NATO at that time.

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

No, I'm basing my conclusions on pictures of the real On Mark ones. By the way the initial pylons were somewhat different. Keep also in mind few similar planes (if any) were still used by NATO at that time.

Skyraider, T-28, O-2, OV-10, OV-1, S-2, AT-37, probably others I can’t remember.  Without question, manufacturers sometimes provided design specific stores pylons for ground clearance, W&B or other specific issues - none of which would apply here, BTW - but the shackles and other equipment inside the fairings are standard Milspec and often as not are supplied from the government’s big bucket of airplane stuff, so one pylon is going to look pretty much like any other in the same load class.  Invaders sported underwing pylons during Korea, so it ain’t like On Mark was working from scratch.

1 minute ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Skyraider, T-28, O-2, OV-10, OV-1, S-2, AT-37, probably others I can’t remember.  Without question, manufacturers sometimes provided design specific stores pylons for ground clearance, W&B or other specific issues - none of which would apply here, BTW - but the shackles and other equipment inside the fairings are standard Milspec and often as not are supplied from the government’s big bucket of airplane stuff, so one pylon is going to look pretty much like any other in the same load class.  Invaders sported underwing pylons during Korea, so it ain’t like On Mark was working from scratch.

Well On Mark was actually restarting from scratch as the load was fully different because the wings were re-designed to carry heavier weapons. Out of the list you mentioned the Skyraider was the only plane carrying similar war loads at similar speeds and coming from the same stable. Keep in mind manufacturers never used to rely on parts made by competitors with some rare exceptions (e.g. Douglas drop tanks). 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, Iain said:

Finish the Connie?

Me?

Erm, no - but it has been out again recently - trying to get my CAD skills up to speed to draw up the cowlings/nacelles so I can print them.

Photos have been a great help though Bruce - and that was a long time ago now...

Iain

It was a long time ago.  I'm still only 30 minutes from the museum.  They repainted the Connie last year.  For the last 5 years I've been volunteering  at the museum restoring a B-17G.  I cleaned up and restored the engines.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a different approach on the wing.  I cut right along the wing fillet panel line and removed that area then plugged the hole with 40 thou plastic.  I took the wing root part that i removed and treated it like a vac form part sanding away the plastic until I had just a very thin edge of the wing fillet just like you would on the real aircraft.  I'm going to move the wing root/fillet up to the proper location on the fuselage.  I'll post pictures when i figure out how.

anyone figure what prop is best to square off the tips use?

Bruce