Douglas/On Mark B-26K/A-26A Invader

Iain

Oh this is getting silly now. Could this be the most poorly designed kit ever???  There was me happily getting on assembling my kit , hoping to just ignore the innaccuracies , and then i look on this thread and realise something else is wrong! aarrggh.  Oh well nevermind , scribed on inner flaps it is then.  I must stop looking on here ,its making my brain starting to think about a counter invader too!   

Any ideas on what you will do about pylons amongst other things Iain?

On the plus side , out of the box it builds really nice so far and the detail is actually OK.

Hi Iain,

Nice work so far! If you need detailed pictures of an Invader let me know. I have access to an A-26B Invader. I know it's not a K model but it will have the wing profiles and skin panels you need. The Invader I have access to and help maintain to airworthiness never has been modified at the spar to be what they called an "Executive transport" either. For if you've never heard of this that was a modification that required making the bomb bay a seating area for generals and high ranking executives for fast transportation. While making this modification they cut the spar and made it more box-like in the bomb bay area for head room of the executives. Ours has just an original bomb bay and spar. 

I look forward to seeing more work on this kit by you. I currently don't have this kit but have considered it since we have a real Invader. I've just not spent the money for it yet.

Cheers,

Brady

• 1 year later...

OK - box has been out again for another coat of looking at - and some further thunking.

I tend to do more of the latter than modelling these days!

I think I have a plan for the fuselage shape issues - but they will mean closing up the bomb bay to keep things simpler - then new canopy masters for vacuum forming.

Have been pondering on the wings - the aerofoil section is out - and I had doubts about the over-wing nacelle to wing blend.

I *think* I have a plan.

It *looks* like the nacelles may be mounted too high in the wing - which would make sense as the wing as moulded in the kit is too low on the fuselage.

The main gear bays in the kit are pure fiction and the inserts will be binned.

But - the rear of the gear bays - to the rear of the rear wing spar - go full height into the rear of the nacelle.

Bear with me here as I feel a bit of an He-219 job coming on here (some may remember that 'quick' build...).

Plan:

1 - Remove nacelle section from upper wing.

2 - Remove wing leading edge intake sections - to be re-profiled/refitted later.

3 - Remove gear-bay section from lower wing - behind where the wing spar would be.

4 - Delineate and remove inner flap section.

5 - Bond upper and lower wing sections together.

6 - Bond wing root section section removed from fuselage to end of respective wings.

7 - Re-shape wing aerofoil section on bench sander.

8 - Remove wing 'blend' sections from nacelles and add styrene to deepen them below wing (amount to be defined).

9 - Cut down previously removed upper wing nacelle/wing blend and fit lower on upper wing - blend in with Milliput.

10 - Make up any required liners/internal detail for nacelles - and assemble.

11 - Fit and blend with wing.

12 - New wing/fuselage blend from Milliput when wings are fitted - and they'll need spars.

Then there's fixing the firewall, new engines, new cowlings - and that's in addition to the previously identified fuselage fixes.

Sounds/feels like an awful lot of work - so I'm still in two minds as to whether I make a start - or put away again.  :deadhorse:

Sigh...

Iain

You’re the only one I know who owns this kit and is making an effort to build it.  Please proceed but just lower your expectations and live with a few inaccuracies.  The completed project will be a 1/32 Invader, something I’ve never seen in the modeling hobby.  Your success might wake up the aftermarket response.

Well - I've hopefully got an ICM 1:48 Counter Invader due inbound at some point now.

Have gone back to fuselage today - filled any remaining gaps around the wing root infill plates that I added over a year ago with cyanoacrylate glue ready to dress off tomorrow.

Then I can look at re-shaping the upper fuselage.

In the mean time, I have some very nice .stl files for the later R-2800s superbly done by Fancherello - Pratt & Whitney R-2800-34W Double Wasp engines for the Tigercat that are close enough to the R-2800-52W (103W?) versions used in the B-26K to be used as a basis - so I can get printing those on my Mini 4K resin printer.

That will be a positive, at least!

I suspect this will continue to bubble away in the background, with very random updates.

Iain

I've had a go at printing those R-2800s as well. He did an amazing job on them and even better, that he graciously made them available for free. What a legend!!! :)

I couldn't quite get the ignition harness to work out on my printer, but everything else was fine. I'll be interested to see how yours turn out Iain!

Craig

2 hours ago, Iain said:

- Pratt & Whitney R-2800-34W Double Wasp engines for the Tigercat that are close enough to the R-2800-52W (103W?) versions used in the B-26K to be used as a basis - so I can get printing those on my Mini 4K resin printer.

19 minutes ago, brahman104 said:

I've had a go at printing those R-2800s as well. He did an amazing job on them and even better, that he graciously made them available for free. What a legend!!! :)

I couldn't quite get the ignition harness to work out on my printer, but everything else was fine. I'll be interested to see how yours turn out Iain!

Well boys if I have any issues with or missed parts for my current project I know where to look now! 

The fuselage inserts are sanded back - perfectly smooth/blended in with the fuselage, with no gaps:

48b427_aa7f60f134f64822a4261665d524b6fc~

48b427_3b52d4d21bd745a29a08d0b75426f544~

And I've made a start on sanding down the rear of the wing roots I removed previously - very loosely placed roughly where the should be. A lot of work to do on these - but will address the wing thickness/aerofoil first.

Note that they are currently too deep from top to bottom - so, yes, I know top/bottom not in correct places on the fuselage side - yet...

48b427_96b5eefd477b47f9a159e246f19dae86~

48b427_5436990f1ad34fdf98fad37609ce9006~

Next thing to look at is the contours of the upper fuselage sides - there may be enough meat there so I don't have to reinforce the rear side before sanding/shaping.

Had the wings/nacelles out too for a dry assembly and some more thinking - but will leave any comments for now...

Iain

I started the same fuselage surgery on mine, using yours as an inspiration. I don't think I will mess with the wing and nacelle shape, but I, too, will be letting mine bubble in the background for what will likely be several years!

Loving the progress, and the brain work behind it.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that HobbyBoss either used Doug Feeney's ID Models  vacform A-26 as a master or the same plans that Doug used.  You can fit the HB fuselage into the vacform fuselage and the wing area matches.

BTW does anyone know if the hard points for the ordnance came form some other aircraft or were made for the A-26.  If they came from another aircraft, i.e. F-100, maybe they exist in 1/32 scale and could be easily copied.  They all appear to be the same so if someone wants to make an original I'd be glad to make a mold and cast them for anyone wanting to do the conversion.  Also, we have an executive A-26in the Robins Museum just 30 minutes down the road from me.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce
add info

too bad,,I guess that would be too easy.  Maybe one of the followers can do masters in 1/32 3D CAD drawings and give the drawings to anyone that wants to take on the task.

Engines shouldn't be a problem.  Techniks made a great R-2800 with all the variations.