Douglas/On Mark B-26K/A-26A Invader

Iain

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

There are a whole raft of knock-ons from this Dennis - but, for the sake of my already tattered sanity I'm going to address them one at a time on this!  :mental::wacko::)

Ain't that the truth?

Something I've noticed with a few other builds, that hasn't seemed to have been picked up on... is that the nose guns are on the wrong side of the front panel lines. Please tell me you noticed this, too, and plan to correct it :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

4 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

I wasn't sure how far off it was, until I saw your photo. Yikes. Pretty much made me want to do the same switch for mine, which I will indeed do. Gotta figure this is going to adjust the sit of the finished model quite a bit, which didn't seem too terribly off when looking at completed models. Which begs the question... are the kit landing gear main legs long enough?

I don't intend to fix the spine in my example, mostly because I don't want to fettle with making new canopies. And I plan to take the kit canopies and mess with the framing to "create" the early forward-opening canopy. I've already started modifying the nose into the earlier 6-gnu configuration. And plan to add a belly turret. At the end, I hope to have something that looks like an A-26B. Hopefully.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I can tell you from my own experience so far with this kit is that the landing gear need to replaced  no matter what the height is , they are really weak, I've already had to put wire in the main struts because one broke off and now that I've looked at them while working on it. The way the struts mount up into the nacelles seems to be way too weak to survive building.

28 minutes ago, patricksparks said:

I can tell you from my own experience so far with this kit is that the landing gear need to replaced  no matter what the height is , they are really weak, I've already had to put wire in the main struts because one broke off and now that I've looked at them while working on it. The way the struts mount up into the nacelles seems to be way too weak to survive building.

Ali? Aerocraft? Are you listening? :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Just popping this info here as a place-holder for now:

Wing Root Airfoil: NACA 65-215

Wing Tip Airfoil: NACA 65-215

Which gives this (subject to confirmation on thickness/chord ratios - please don't take as definitive as yet):

48b427_98502ce4da5443fabe54939c737f54cc~

I actually quite enjoy researching stuff like this - so the project isn't all bad!  ;)

Iain

20 hours ago, Iain said:

They say a photo can speak a thousand words, so I'll leave this here:

48b427_7bd08ccced7145acbb635bafed1d106e~

48b427_b883813ffed24ace9371a03c5a744213~

Wish I'd taken a starboard image of the fuselage before marking up and cutting, but you get the idea.

And accurate panel lines don't figure in the scheme of things at present - just trying to get some basic shapes that work before worrying about any of that...

Iain

Wow! This picture shows all what's wrong with the wing position on the kit. Great find, however, as you could not get a better view of what needs to be done.

Very well planned and executed work so far.

Alain

Love this stuff Iain :)

Sows ear and Silk Purse come to mind..

it is a wonder how having gone to the trouble of tooling this kit how and why such basic errors were made, i mean I forgive things generally but this seems so way off base I can't actually figure out what must have happened

great to see you getting stuck in and sorting it - I was wowed by an ID Vac at last years Telford, it sure builds up into one impressive airframe

Peter

18 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Great start. At what point is it less work to draw a new fuselage in CAD and print it in resin?

Bingo Mike. Of course not knowing autoCAD, and not having a printer of my own I'm of course speaking from the arm-chair here. I fully respect the work it takes, as I've only dabbled in a couple different CAD programs, but that is the way IMHO.

I can say for sure If I had the money for a printer I'd definitely invest in the time to learn it. I think it would be a very wise thing to invest in, time and money wise. You may have to chop up the fuselage halves into printable chunks, but it could be done. Would need confirmed correct drawings/dimensions to start. Not sure if that's easier said than done or not.

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

Great start. At what point is it less work to draw a new fuselage in CAD and print it in resin?

The thought had crossed my mind - and I’ve been playing with Rhino and Fusion 360 - but I’d end up re-doing the whole kit - which defeats the object!

I think some basic modelling skills will be quicker and get me to where I want to be on this project.

If nobody else comes up with suitable main wheels for the B-26K then I’ll draw up - along with the gear casings for the late 2800s...

Iain

Just uploading some review photos and spotted something else - no inner flaps!

Separate outer ones, but no inners...

In the scheme of things - and given I’ll be re-profiling the airfoil on the wings anyway - it’s not a difficult fix.

But...

Ho-hum.

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Just uploading some review photos and spotted something else - no inner flaps!

Separate outer ones, but no inners...

In the scheme of things - and given I’ll be re-profiling the airfoil on the wings anyway - it’s not a difficult fix.

But...

Ho-hum.

Iain

Pretty funny, I was working on a wing this morning and realized the same thing.....