Revell Piper Super Cub Luftwaffe basic trainer

dmthamade

On 12/5/2020 at 4:26 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

Looks fantastic with the clear parts on. 

Very interesting wing attachments in the kit.

Alain

The way the clear parts are attached are unique, but have to say, the fit is great on all clear parts. Careful dry fitting needed, but turn out fine.

Don

Did manage to finish the build, concern over the gear being strong enough is unfounded. I used the kit decals, they are a little thick, but applied nicely, conformed. Have to say, this is a really tiny build, looks like a 1/48 beside other 1/32 builds.

euPeUR.jpggSAvGi.jpgihIGXA.jpgK0MNxE.jpgSAlv2G.jpg6KYWyo.jpg

I couldn't find an out of bottle match, used Tamiya yellow XF-3 and added X-6 Orange until i got it looking right. The Fluorescent Orange is Vallejo Model Air 71.082 Fluorescent Red RAL2005. Observations when building, be careful when mounting the engine to the firewall to get alignment right for the prop shaft to cowl opening. The engine itself appears well detailed, lots of parts, just needs detail painting, wiring. Part#81 fits through the bottom of the cowl, once again, alignment of the engine to cowl is critical. Make sure the holes in the wing bottom parts are open for parts 51/52/53/54 and deep enough. Holes in 51/52 for 53/54 are shallow, shorten the pins on 53/54 or carefully deepen holes in 51/52.

Don

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that really is a little gem! 

I've got a couple of these kits in the stash, one being a "bush" plane with oversized tires......

This really makes me want to go assembling!

Congrats on a really lovely looking Cub

When i bought this kit, i wanted to do a bush plane with the big tires. lost interest over time, even when it was released with the big tires.

8 hours ago, MikeC said:

That's wonderful. Especially well done on the engine and cowlings,  that aspect defeated me when I tried to build that kit.

:goodjob:

The cowl assembly was fairly straightforward, but the engine alignment i totally messed up. I did this as a closed up build, so i cut away a lot of the engine and accessories to  fit the cowl. The air intake on the bottom of the engine was cut off and glued directly to the cowl bottom. Cut the prop boss off the front and used one of the disc brake assemblies minus the caliper and rod stock to add a centered mount for the prop. On other online builds, there was no mention of poor fit here, so i can blame myself for the poor fit. Definitely a different build, but shows the contrast between a small civilian plane compared to an F-15 or a typical WW2 fighter. This is also IIRC the first postwar Luftwaffe build i've ever done, lots of WW2 stuff, no modern stuff...i should change that...Thanks for the encouragement, guys!!

Don