Revell Piper Super Cub Luftwaffe basic trainer

dmthamade

It's been a while since i've been able to finish anything. Hopefully this should be a straightforward build. These were some of the first aircraft in the post war Luftwaffe, basic trainers.  This will use the kit scheme of a bird from....Fluganwarterregiment, Uetersen, Germany, August 1958. Will be yellow overall!! Another scheme included is for AG 51 Immelmann Luftwaffe Sport Flying Group, mainly used for a tow aircraft for glider training. Kit has been reviewed favourably, and does look good in the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been two weeks since last update. Busy at work and stuff, so progress is sloooow. In this time i managed to get the pit done and the fuselage closed up. Really simple pit, OOB here with the belts painted on. I have to confess, i'm just trying to get something done without having things go wrong. There will be some fill on the bottom of the fuselage due to sink marks, but the fit here is really nice. 

aFqWYU.jpg

4XO343.jpg

aamAvi.jpg

UaipZS.jpg

I also glued the wing halves together, fit here was a little rough along the leading edge, so i added Mr. Dissolved putty.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been almost a month since the last post!! It's been really busy at work with winter and possible lockdown coming, could work on the build intermittently. I have paint on everything but the prop, will paint it....soon...everything else has been gloss coated, will apply decals soon...This is a simple build, should be easier to finish.

geEgIO.jpg

Edited by dmthamade

• 2 weeks later...

Finally starting to get back to normal at work, so more bench time!! The fit of the kit has been fine up to this point, the fit of the clears concerned me a bit as there are a lot of parts (for me, anyways) No need to worry though, as dryfitting did ok, and final fitting was fine. One area where i messed up was when i assemble the pit into the fuselage halves. Clear parts #44 and #45 are supposed to fit in a groove between the fuselage and the pit. When you mate these parts, DO NOT try to get a gap free fit here, otherwise you will have to trim away the tab at the bottom of said parts to fit the clears. Still on the clear parts, be careful cutting them off the sprues!! Parts #40 and #46 will scar if you don't be careful, and they are at an obvious spot. The gear looks a little weak for the build, time will tell. A problem that is my doing is the engine is not centered in the cowl, hole for the prop is a "little" off....I had to " trim a little off" the engine, fortunately i'm building it closed up and i have a fix in the works for the prop. Some pics.

n2Ob2D.jpgZtsXhc.jpg2LGXki.jpgH