Hobby Boss A-26, Why Not ? Lets Make a A-26K Nimrod

patricksparks

Put some filler caps on the wing tip tanks...

H0MZY4z.jpg

Started  to move the wing roots, I cut the kit fuselage from the front of the gunner's window all the way forward to about the point where the instrument panel mounts, this point on the kit is very close to the correct shape in cross section, I ground some material off the inside of the fuselage pieces from the wing leading edge forward so that I  could re-shape the cockpit walls to a more curved shape to match the cross section at  the instrument panel. When I cut out the fuselage sides I left about a 1/16 of an inch below the bottom of the wing and I cut horizontally based on drawings and photos, the kit wing root fairing flange is wrong on the bottom of the wing it should be straight/horizontal and curve up at the front and back edges of the wing. I raised the cut out parts 9/32 of an inch(the white styrene strips) I will go back and cut the cockpit sill back down. I will make a small pattern and form a new fuselage top cap...

20OSWOa.jpgPUwi7Cp.jpg

uhstuJW.jpg

On 11/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, patricksparks said:

Put some filler caps on the wing tip tanks...

H0MZY4z.jpg

Started  to move the wing roots, I cut the kit fuselage from the front of the gunner's window all the way forward to about the point where the instrument panel mounts, this point on the kit is very close to the correct shape in cross section, I ground some material off the inside of the fuselage pieces from the wing leading edge forward so that I  could re-shape the cockpit walls to a more curved shape to match the cross section at  the instrument panel. When I cut out the fuselage sides I left about a 1/16 of an inch below the bottom of the wing and I cut horizontally based on drawings and photos, the kit wing root fairing flange is wrong on the bottom of the wing it should be straight/horizontal and curve up at the front and back edges of the wing. I raised the cut out parts 9/32 of an inch(the white styrene strips) I will go back and cut the cockpit sill back down. I will make a small pattern and form a new fuselage top cap...

20OSWOa.jpgPUwi7Cp.jpg

uhstuJW.jpg

Wow, scary chopping up, but superb result so far....brilliant!

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Learstang said:

Whatever happened to this build? It looked like it was coming along nicely. I have one of these 'A-26ish' kits myself.

Regards,

Jason

I have too many other builds started to devote myself to this one, there are just so many issues to correct on the kit to get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, click2detail are supposed to be coming out with a new wing root and top of the fuselage insert, new cowlings, and new landing gear, all in 3-D printed resin. I don't know what these are going to be like (or what they are going to cost), but I can attest that their replacement R-2800 engines are brilliant, even coming complete with wiring, all as one moulding (and with 18 cylinders per engine!). It even sounds like they may make a B-26K conversion (by the way folks, it's either 'A-26A' or 'B-26K'; there was no 'A-26K').

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, RESIN2detail have now released both their nacelle/main landing gear upgrade (which I have - looks nice), and their mid-fuselage/wing root correction set, which I've ordered. They were also going to release a cowling upgrade, which I will no doubt buy once it's released. I am very interested to see what the fuselage/wing root set looks like. I may post some quick impressions regarding that when I receive it. At this point I feel like a gambler who's already bet too much - I can't quit now (on trying to make this chimera of a kit into something reasonably A-26ish). Now about that canopy...

Regards,

Jason