Hobby Boss A-26, Why Not ? Lets Make a A-26K Nimrod

patricksparks

I spent a few hours today working on a wing, I bought the Resin 2 Detail printed oil cooler intakes and have installed one, they look so much better than what was molded, they fit pretty good, I have to do a little filling and sanding, I would definitely recommend these parts.

lR46qtC.jpgQnoodt8.jpgEUGgk2O.jpg?1

I also  started working on the wing tip fuel tanks, I found a set of tanks on ebay for the Czech Models F-80, they are very close to the right length and the diameter is correct, sanded 2 of the ribs that go around the tank off and sanded the nose to the more blunt shaped nose of the "K" tanks, I also glued styrene strips inside the tanks protruding out so they can slide into the cut off wing tip void.

hbJe033.jpg?1

hW36wVb.jpg?1has1W7K.jpg?1

Edited by patricksparks

A little more progress, I finished cleaning up the new props and put some paint on them.

ec4irV9.jpgj3B9qF9.jpg?1

Also got the wing tip fuel tanks installed and put the fuel dump tubes into the backs of the tanks.

H5CpPLV.jpgyzEZKMT.jpg

I partially cut into the cowl flap joint line and put the cowl flaps into a more closed position.

bqPRQlR.jpgSA4X0fK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Vector R-2800 late model engines , started putting them together..

OMZdL74.jpg

Modified the Hobby Boss engine mounts and mounted the Vector engines to them to make it easy to center on the existing firewalls...I also modified the Vector engines ignition wire ring based on photos of the restored "SPECIAL KAY" B-26Ks engines that show only 9 wire outlets on the ring with 2 wires coming out of each of the outlets...

nUblRoQ.jpg

I was glad to find there was no issue with the Hobby Boss cowl inside diameter, the Vector engines fit in fine other than the Vector engines are much longer front to back than the kit's, this is why I had to modify the kit's engine mounts , I will have to make some additional mods to permanently mount the cowlings..

GIdujMZ.jpg?14h9U01a.jpg?1

I installed a screen into the carb intake...the cowling is still loose, that's why it looks crooked...IQLjmJJ.jpg?1

I decided not to get aftermarket cockpit parts(ie. Eduuard/Yahu) looked at the kit's instrument panel and it's molded with the secondary flight instruments on the right side of the panel which the "K" model would have, so I looked at the kit's decal sheet and the molded panel and they both look pretty good. I didn't want to put individual instrument decals into each bezel so I sanded the back of the kit panel down in thickness and then drilled out the individual  bezels and then took the kit panel decal and mounted it to a thin piece of styrene and applied it to the back of the kit panel, I have also used some "AIRSCALE" placard decals here and there, still have to put some more  here and there and some paint...WlxZeTf.jpgongNQpo.jpgMUPVabH.jpgORRaQo5.jpg

Edited by patricksparks