Lets be realistic,  there is no way that plane is being launched for flight.  All it would do is loop at the end of the deck. The tail plane incidence would be so positive with that huge bend there would be no way to control it.  There is clearly a bucket under the fuse catching oil also.

The pilot is just undoing himself from the plane.  That thing went over the side for sure. 

4 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Lets be realistic,  there is no way that plane is being launched for flight.  All it would do is loop at the end of the deck. The tail plane incidence would be so positive with that huge bend there would be no way to control it.  There is clearly a bucket under the fuse catching oil also.

The pilot is just undoing himself from the plane.  That thing went over the side for sure. 

i respectfully disagree.  Plenty of info I've come across supports my theory that this aircraft is being launched for a mission.   The F6F's were that tough! 

Here are some other pictures of Hellcats preparing for launch:

Morning launch for a strike against Japan.

pa4bypbk12vz.jpg

In this one the pilot is clearly getting into his aircraft

pilot-ensign-r-black-climbs-out-of-an-f6

Pilot strapping in for take off.

F6F-3_Hellcat_33_of_VF-5_on_its_nose_aft

I hope this helps illustrate my point.  

John

10 hours ago, Sabre F-86 said:

Be interesting to try and model that bent bird.

Not too difficult really. Many modeling attempts while working above my concrete basement floor in my youth resulted in very similar results due to poor aircraft handling. :lol: