Bent Hellcat

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like this guy is buckling in in prep for launch.  Realizing he had a bent airplane on his hands, the squadron CO probably grabbed his youngest Nugget and told him to fly the thing to beach for a quick strip and repaint.  Wouldn't be the first time.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:00 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like this guy is buckling in in prep for launch.  Realizing he had a bent airplane on his hands, the squadron CO probably grabbed his youngest Nugget and told him to fly the thing to beach for a quick strip and repaint.  Wouldn't be the first time.

I can assure you that airplane is not being prepared for a flight!

10 hours ago, Chad Veich said:

I can assure you that airplane is not being prepared for a flight!

I wouldn't be so sure.  I have a friend, whose brother said he overheard the barista at his local Starbucks say that she found a website that referenced that the USN often launched beaten up, barely flyable Hellcats back into combat.  I guess it's just what they did back then.

I think that pretty much seals the deal on this issue, right?

3 hours ago, John1 said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  I have a friend, whose brother said he overheard the barista at his local Starbucks say that she found a website that referenced that the USN often launched beaten up, barely flyable Hellcats back into combat.  I guess it's just what they did back then.

I think that pretty much seals the deal on this issue, right?

There's a difference between "beat up" and "structurally unsound".  The only place that airplane was likely to be headed was over the side - beyond the capability to repair on board and replacements were readily available.

Lets be realistic,  there is no way that plane is being launched for flight.  All it would do is loop at the end of the deck. The tail plane incidence would be so positive with that huge bend there would be no way to control it.  There is clearly a bucket under the fuse catching oil also.

The pilot is just undoing himself from the plane.  That thing went over the side for sure.