Resin nostalgia?

Jack

I have this kit in the stash, originating back to 1992, a full hollow casting resin B25 H/J by Marco Miniatures, made long before HKM had their splendid version, and i guess long before the now common resin producers around our block.

Anyone have any experience with this kit? Take a look at the pictures:

WFKXsZe.jpg

Jclj9IJ.jpg

hA33DBv.jpg

Jack

Edited by Jack

I am really getting old. When I get nostalgic it is for the old stick and tissue kits. I can still small the clear dope we used to paint the tissue covering so it would tighten up over the formers. Better yet during WW2 the Joe Ott kits offered thick card formers because the damn printed balsa would always split when you would try to cut the ribs out ! 

Also some kits were just rectangular blocks of balsa and you transferred the outlines of the fuselage, wings, tail and parts to the wood by pins to make holes in the wood  so you could cut out the parts and then round off the shapes using carving knives and lots of sandpaper. 

Using pre cast resin is much better.

Ssculptor

5 minutes ago, ssculptor said:

I am really getting old. When I get nostalgic it is for the old stick and tissue kits. I can still small the clear dope we used to paint the tissue covering so it would tighten up over the formers. Better yet during WW2 the Joe Ott kits offered thick card formers because the damn printed balsa would always split when you would try to cut the ribs out !

Well Stephen, if you're getting really old, then so am i, since i had myself some old stick and tissue kits in the past as well, and also smelled the dope and all that stuff, but what i was trying to say is that this "pre cast resin", as you put it, was IMHO a leap forward, but compared to Paul Fisher productions or HPH this product was ofcourse simple and roughly casted at some particular places in parts, but it was the first hollow fuselage with some detailing moulded inside, and supplemented with separate resin details.

Anyhow, i'd sure like to know if there is any LSP member who built this kit and what his or hers experience was in doing so.

J.

Jack,

Damn, damn, damn, Do I remember this kit well as I wanted/needed it when I saw it advertised in FSM. The year I 1st saw it escapes me but your box says '92, was it out earlier, not sure?

I finally got a chance to see it many, many years later, in the early 2000’s!

IIRC, it was a cross between the Aurora and Guillows 1/32 kits with Monogram 1/48 B-25H/J style copied details for the inards.

It looked Beautiful all built up. The modeller, a friend of mine from Miami built her as a PBJ-1J. Can't comment on the buildability/headaches of the kit. Just know/assume the same as a limited run, resin kit brought/brings.

Gorgeous kit, I’d still build it If I had one and had bench time. Enjoy!!!!

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

This is surely one of the rarest LSP kits ever released. I never succeeded in finding one when the HK kit was not even considered. This was during the pre-Internet era and you had to use snail mail and rely on paper-based IMO to order such oddities... Jeez, how things have evolved since the nineties! 

31 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

This is surely one of the rarest LSP kits ever released.  

Never seen this before.

I'm sure someone will pay good on E-bay.

Edited by Erwin

On 10/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, GrahamF said:

This is the sort of kit that has hard wired into your brains that all resin kits are this difficult to build and need lots of extraction from their casting blocks.That notion can't be removed now.

Graham 

I've had plenty of your stuff made by a good friend of mine and he said it was so easy to build!  :thumbsup:

Yes your right, but they are denying themselves a real treat! 

Sad.....but true!

On 10/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, Jack said:

I have this kit in the stash, originating back to 1992, a full hollow casting resin B25 H/J by Marco Miniatures, made long before HKM had their splendid version, and i guess long before the now common resin producers around our block.

Anyone have any experience with this kit? Take a look at the pictures:

WFKXsZe.jpg

Jclj9IJ.jpg

hA33DBv.jpg

Jack

I was looking for one of those for years - until the injected kit was first rumoured.

Based o the old Aurora kit IIRC?

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Based o the old Aurora kit IIRC?

Iain

Yes but the Aurora kit had close to no detail. I had one in my hands once, when the WingXL, future HK B-25 was confirmed. The kit had correct shapes but no other real asset whereas the price was more expensive than the Chinese kit that finally arrived more or less three years later! A true collector item. 

yes Iain, apparently it is, i never saw the Aurora kit "in the flesh" so to speak, but i remember seeing the kits in shop when i was a teen, and i also remember a motorized aurora version, flying it on a string, but that should have been a neat trick.

Our former deceased LSP member Larry Hawkins made such a aurora kit, if memory serves, it must be somewhere in the LSP archives.

Like Alfonso said, it was a hot item before the HKM ever evolved, and Fine Scale Modeller magazine did an article on it sometime.

Anyhow, i'll just hang on to it, as a "nostalgic" reminder.....

IIRC, the B-25C/D that Mr. Larry Hawkins(RIP) had built was using the Guillows kit with Revell Corsair engines and props, etc, etc. and not the Aurora kit.

There is an article somewhere on here that an Italian modeller, Luca something or?, did use the Aurora kit and some Combat vac bits and Guillows bits to do B-25J "Ave Maria” as it was based near his home town. Gorgeous build but my memory may be off a bit but not by much. I am quite the Elephant though not always in view, LOL

I knew the Aurora kit well as my Father(RIP) had built one in 78/79 as a static kit, as B-25H ” Dog Daize” and sat on top of the T.V. in the living room. I have a polaroid photo still back at home in storage in Miami.

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

7 hours ago, Jack said:

Alfonso you may be right about both builds, Larry Hawkins indeed used the Guillows etc, and Luca (?) the Aurora.

Had a brief look through the articles page and Larrys' build was the Guillows kit. Looked quickly to be sure I remembered right but didn't look for the "Luca ?" build of the Aurora... A lot of build articles to go through. 

Not to vear off topic, but related. Did come across a Hasegawa Venezuelan F-5 that my Friend Freddy P, shhhh-- forgot his last name, from Miami did who is the person I saw built the Marcos Miniatures B-25 though.

You ever want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands. DM me a price and postage and we're off. LOL

Alfonso