1:32nd scale - Bristol M1.c

sandbagger

Hi all,
I decided to employ the same technique I used for the Ansaldo 'Baby' and create the linen effect using the 'Aviattic' weave effect decal (ATT32236).
This was not an easy task for the fuselage, as it has a round section which also tapers towards the rear of the fuselage.
This meant that I couldn't apply the decal as large pieces, as they would have folded and creased as they were applied towards the tapered rear of the fuselage.
Instead I had to cut multiple paper templates to span only two fuselage longerons at a time.
Then trace these templates onto the decal sheet, cut out the decals and apply them one by one, which took 9 hours.
However I think the effect may have justified the effort.
Now it's onto the wings, ailerons, fin, tailplanes and elevators, which should be easier,

Mike  

decal1.jpg

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Wow, Mike - that looks amazing! I'm not familiar with those Aviattic decals; are they transparent and designed to give a weave effect to the underlying paint?

Kev

Hi Kev,

Yes exactly that.

'Aviattic have two primary types of linen effect decals:

'White' - these decals are printed on a white layer, so are not translucent and can be applied on any base coat colour without it showing through.

'Clear' - these decals are translucent and to get the effect of the linen weave, need to be applied onto a light base colour, usually white but can be tan, grey etc.

The 'weave' effect decals are translucent but with no other colour, just the weave effect. They should be applied over the appropriate base colour so the weave effect shows.

I used this type of decal on my Macchi M.5 and Ansaldo 'Baby builds and now on the Bristol M1.c build.

If you have the decal which has the correct 'white' PC or lozenge decal colour, then there's no real need to use the weave effect decal.

It is good to use if the base colour isn't available such as the silver dope finish on Nieuports etc.

Just above the wood effect decals:

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/linen-effect--wood-grain-decals.html,

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
All decals applied now and weathering done.
Weathering is a mix of 'Flory' Grime clay wash, 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Set A, C and D (Gunmetal, Mud, Sand) and 'AK Interactive' enamel wash (Kerosene 2039 and Engine oil 2019).
All seal in with 'Alclad' Light Sheen lacquer (ALC311).

Now onto construction and rigging,

Mike

weather3.jpg

weather4.jpg

weather5.jpg

weather6.jpg

weather7.jpg

Hi all,
The Bristol M1.c is finished now, although I still have the figures and display base to do.
The shot below (minus propeller and spinner) is of the wing rigging, which turned out to be more difficult than I had hoped.
Having built monoplanes before, I didn't anticipate how tricky it would be to fit the wings.

The actual aircraft had a wing dihedral angle of between 2 and 3.5 degrees.
However the two locating lugs at the root of each wing are woefully inadequate.
The wings are moulded a single, solid pieces, so are quite heavy.
Test fitting both wings into their locating holes in the fuselage proved useless as the both wings sagged down badly.
I couldn't drill into the wing roots and through the fuselage to add metal rod 'spars for additional support  (as I've done before on mono-planes).
They would have crossed through and been visible in the cockpit.
Therefore I decided to fit the flying and landing wires as the wings were fitted.
In that way the wires actually supported the wings onto the over cockpit support frame, which I'd made from brass tubing. 

Mike

rigging15.jpg

Hi all,
I've finished the mechanic ('Copper State Models'), who will be pulling the propeller to prime the engine.
I wanted him to look grubby and oil stained.
Painted with 'Tamiya' and 'AK Interactive' acrylics.
Weathered with 'Flory Models' clay wash and 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Sets A, D and C.

Now it's onto the pilot,

Mike

mech1.jpg

mech2.jpg

mech3.jpg

Wow, Mike.

You've hit this one right out of the park! She's a beauty and I thank you for showing your process and the way you do things. I have followed all of your other recent builds and kept them as reference for potential future builds of mine as this is what I would like to achieve (but will probably fail ;)).

One question regarding the brass bits. Do you plan ahead for things like that, i.e. look at the kit and decide this may need reinforcement to fix an issue later down the road? I mean remaking the cockpit support and the landing gear assembly from brass turned out to be a stroke of genius. Earlier you said that both assemblies seemed weak and you thought the cockpit support may not be strong enough to carry the weight of the wing. As it turned out it probably wasn't but the brass also helped fixing the sagging wings issue. Was that anticipated or rather a lucky turn of events helped by the brass frame? I'm just trying to understand the thinking process of your building here. What to look out for, etc. As you said, you've had experience from previous monoplanes, but your solutions then where not an option now.

Regardless. Utterly beautiful end result and I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

Minor thing really (literally, mind the pun) - would it be possible to have larger pictures?

Hi all,
I've finished the pilot ('Kellerkind Models').
I think he's probably slightly over dressed for operating in Mesopotamia, but hey-ho.
Painted with 'Tamiya' and 'AK Interactive' acrylics and 'Mr. Colour'.
Weathered with 'Flory Models' clay wash and 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Sets A, D and C.

That's it now so thanks for your support and comments.
The next post will be the final reveal of the completed model,

Mike

pilot1.jpg

pilot2.jpg

pilot3.jpg

2 hours ago, sky said:

Wow, Mike.

You've hit this one right out of the park! She's a beauty and I thank you for showing your process and the way you do things. I have followed all of your other recent builds and kept them as reference for potential future builds of mine as this is what I would like to achieve (but will probably fail ;)).

One question regarding the brass bits. Do you plan ahead for things like that, i.e. look at the kit and decide this may need reinforcement to fix an issue later down the road? I mean remaking the cockpit support and the landing gear assembly from brass turned out to be a stroke of genius. Earlier you said that both assemblies seemed weak and you thought the cockpit support may not be strong enough to carry the weight of the wing. As it turned out it probably wasn't but the brass also helped fixing the sagging wings issue. Was that anticipated or rather a lucky turn of events helped by the brass frame? I'm just trying to understand the thinking process of your building here. What to look out for, etc. As you said, you've had experience from previous monoplanes, but your solutions then where not an option now.

Regardless. Utterly beautiful end result and I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

Minor thing really (literally, mind the pun) - would it be possible to have larger pictures?

Hi Sky,

Thanks and a good question.

I tend to look at the kit and its parts before I start.

Having built a few kits now, I can usually spot weak areas of a model.

Struts are always an area where weaknesses can be spotted.

The better resin kits usually have built-in metal support rods, but other resin kits don't. Resin is weak when moulded as thin parts.

Styrene kits don't usually need reinforcing, but some of these kits don't have sufficient location points for struts.

Finally, as with this model, it can be obvious that wings will probably not be adequately supported by the styrene struts.

So basically I look for problems with a kit when I research the aircraft and pilot.

Mike

PS: I'll post larger pictures for the final reveal thread.  

Edited by sandbagger