Most elegant WW-2 design ? The Spitfire !

14 hours ago, CharmyDown said:

Spitfire yes, but anyone privileged enough to have seen a Mosquito flying - just jaw dropping! :bow:

I love the Spitfire but you are correct about the Mosquito, a flying Mosquito is an awesome sight (and sound) the British Aerospace Mosquito used to be a common sight flying around our area before it was lost in a tragic crash as it was based at Broughton

Cheers

Dennis

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

I love the Spitfire but you are correct about the Mosquito, a flying Mosquito is an awesome sight (and sound) the British Aerospace Mosquito used to be a common sight flying around our area before it was lost in a tragic crash as it was based at Broughton

Cheers

Dennis

The very Mossie I had in mind, watched it in awe several times at Duxford.

Such a terrible loss.

I was watching Lanc "Just Jane" trundling around the grassed area at Easy Kirkby a few weeks ago and it occurred to me that she's just too appealing a design to be a machine-of-war (I fully acknowledge that she was designed to drop high explosives on our wartime enemies, however). I feel it's a real shame that these amazing machines had such a terrible, fatal end-purpose. On the other side of that coin, if we had not been through those conflicts then, obviously, we could not be able to appreciate them at airshows and museums. 

Chris. 

PS: No votes for the Hawker Tempest? Surely, one of the sleekest, most-purposeful prop-driven aircraft ever designed? 

Guest Vincent

Funny that some people think of the G55 and noone mentionned the a/c it was copied from : the Arsenal VG33

Original :

161cbb1099d278131c318f360c62d507.jpg

Copy :

Fiat_G55.jpg

;)

Vincent

Edited by Vincent

On 10/26/2020 at 8:33 PM, Confusionreigns178 said:

PS: No votes for the Hawker Tempest? Surely, one of the sleekest, most-purposeful prop-driven aircraft ever designed? 

I'll vote for the Tempest (how many votes do we have?), especially the Mk II.  Elegant, and also oozes sheer brute power.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 3:04 PM, Erwin said:

Scoreboard:

Spitfire: 16

Mosquito: 7

P-51: 4

Hornet: 4

Me 262: 2

Rapide: 2

Dinah: 2

Macchi C-202: 2

Constelletion: 2

Corsair: 2

Tigercat: 1

Barracuda: 1

Ju 188: 1

P-80: 1

XF-12 Rainbow: 1

Re-2005: 1

Fw-200: 1

Spiteful: 1

Dakota: 1

Yak-3: 1

Fiat G-55: 1

He 116: 1

PBY-5A: 1

Ju-287: 1

Me 163: 1

Ki-77: 1

Tony: 1

XF-11: 1

Avia B-534: 1

He-113: 1

Me 109: 1

Buffalo: 1

Typhoon:1

P-38: 1

He-219: 1

DH Albatross: 1

Ki 84:1

Lancaster: 1

Tempest:1

Hi all,

The topic is slowing down.

Time for a last call.

It depends on how you define elegance I suppose.

For pure aesthetic beauty it’s gotta be the spit, for over the top engineering and construction the Wellington gets a vote, for using construction methods using materials not in short supply the Mossie gets the nod, the Mustang has to get a vote for combining technologies from 2 nations to make 1 excellent aircraft, then there’s the 262 and Meteor for innovation.

Overall, I’d give my vote to the Beaufighter, just because I can’t make up my mind :D

• Erwin changed the title to Most elegant WW-2 design ? The Spitfire !

Good job Erwin. Interesting that 3 of the top 4 are British aircraft, the country that brought to the world the delights of the Handy Page Heyford, Blackburn Blackburd and GA Fleet Shadower (apologies to anyone who regards the previous as the aeronautical equivalent of the Mona Lisa).

What does this say about the British Psyche?

Maybe we should have a thread on ww11s ugliest aircraft which may well have 3 British aircraft in the top 4 (I'm looking at you again Heyford).

Edited by Adrian