Hasegawa Ki84 1/32- Any other recommendations?

Pup7309

I just got Hasegawa’s Ki84 and was very impressed. This line is a few years old now but can you recommend another/ others? I’ve seen reviews they all seem good. The ki43 is an older kit though apparently.

Thanks!

Edited by Pup7309

The KI-44 is a really nice kit and very similar to the KI-84.  I have built both.  The KI-43 is a very old kit, but still can be built up nicely.  I also have the J2M, KI-61, and the N1K2-J; I have not built them, but they all look as nice as the Ki-84 and KI-44.  I wish Hasegawa would produce some of the Japanese naval attack aircraft.

5 hours ago, spreckair said:

The KI-44 is a really nice kit and very similar to the KI-84.  I have built both.  The KI-43 is a very old kit, but still can be built up nicely.  I also have the J2M, KI-61, and the N1K2-J; I have not built them, but they all look as nice as the Ki-84 and KI-44.  I wish Hasegawa would produce some of the Japanese naval attack aircraft.

Thanks for your ideas.  I was actually thinking of the ki 44 or Raiden (or both) And maybe one of the Fws. The Shiden Kai was most recent and looks good but does not appeal to me as much. 

This year I have been having a Japanese theme, all the builds are 1/32 scale Hasegawa, the first was a Ki 84, the second was the J2M and the third the N1K2-J, I am just on the finishing touches on the N1K2-J and all three kits are soundly engineered and a pleasure to build, they are highly recommended. The build threads are all on here at LSP

Cheers

Dennis

All the WW2 Hasegawa kits released for the last twenty years are very good or even excellent if you omit one annoying feature. For a reason I cannot understand Hasegawa has a major issue with inserts. This is very weird as all major parts are generally LEGO-like regarding the precision of the buildability. However, as soon as you have to add a panel in one surface, the quality of the adjustment is quite often rather bad. Besides that, the only kit that really disappointed me noticeably regarding buildability is their P-40E. The adjustment of most parts looks to have been designed by a Swiss watch maker

whereas there is ni way to position correctly some others such as the inserts close to the exhausts or the tail-fuselage panel lines?!? 

9 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This year I have been having a Japanese theme, all the builds are 1/32 scale Hasegawa, the first was a Ki 84, the second was the J2M and the third the N1K2-J, I am just on the finishing touches on the N1K2-J and all three kits are soundly engineered and a pleasure to build, they are highly recommended. The build threads are all on here at LSP

Cheers

Dennis

Oddly enough, I was on a Japanese kick too for a while, and screwed up three in a row; Has Ki-61, Has N1K, and Doyusha A6M. For the moment, I've moved on from Japanese subjects, even though I have several more to get to, and will be buying even more in the near future.

The Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-84 was a fabulous kit that went together absent any issues whatsoever. All I used was an Eduard etch set but upon reflection, it wasn't really needed as you can hardly see any of it anyway. Just some seatbelts and you are good to go as the cockpit is very well detailed OOB.  I also used a 'Montext' mask set due to the easy nature of doing Japanese national insignia and along with the white wing 'bandages' in white paint rather than using decals, it lifted the model to the next level.

In the box, their Ki-44, 61, N1K2, A6M5c and 'Raiden' look like they will (all) build equally as well. As said elsewhere, the Ki-43 is really old and not a patch on their newer tooled kits. For a straightforward build with no panels open or gimmicks, the Has 1/32 Japanese AF and Navy kits are an hard act to beat IMHO.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Oddly enough, I was on a Japanese kick too for a while, and screwed up three in a row; Has Ki-61, Has N1K, and Doyusha A6M. For the moment, I've moved on from Japanese subjects, even though I have several more to get to, and will be buying even more in the near future.

Ouch!  The Doyusha kit is an older kit and a bunch of tricky fits appeared when I left the battery pack out of the cockpit.  But... the other two?  Shame on you.  Please learn to focus young man. LOL.   Kidding aside I taped the Ki-61 together a tightly as I could and there were a few tolerance stack up problems along the way.  

Rick

5 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Ouch!  The Doyusha kit is an older kit and a bunch of tricky fits appeared when I left the battery pack out of the cockpit.  But... the other two?  Shame on you.  Please learn to focus young man. LOL.   Kidding aside I taped the Ki-61 together a tightly as I could and there were a few tolerance stack up problems along the way.  

Rick

Oh yes, my fault, for sure. No matter what, I just couldn't seem to get anything right at all, and messed with all of them way beyond the point when I should have just slammed them into the floor and been done.