I've tried to find out what type of casting resin is used by the likes of Aires, CMK, True Details, Verlinden, Resicast etc.   I think there is more chance on being invited to afternoon tea with the Queen.  Does anybody know and will I have to perform some bizarre ritual where I swear a pact to have carnal knowledge with a goat?

Hi Mark,

Can't answer for the resin manufacturers per se, but are you after the specific resins each of them use?

Or just a general recommendation?

On a personal level I get excellent results with G26 Polyurethane casting resin in the main, which gives me good results for a variety of tasks.

But you may already have knowledge of that, if so ignore.  :)

Now, about the egg whisk and a frozen chicken, on a full moon...  ;)

Iain

Hi Iain (nice to see the Scottish spelling with an all important "i").  I used to cast parts a few years back but was never 100% sure if the resin type was similar to that used by model accessory manufacturers.  Polycraft slow set 15min, paintable polyurethane resin in RTV Silicone moulds lined with a light dusting of baby powder in a pressure pot at 50psi.

Hi Mark,

No goats or bats but "eye of newt and dragon spawn " a bit different.

The problem is there are so many on the market and some are not the best rule of thumb if it smells it's crap !!! it is a polyester smells, brittle and destroys moulds.

I've been using the same stuff for over 25 years Polytech silicon various grades, the even have one with a 8 minute pot life and 30-40 min demould.

Two types of silicone condensation cure  normally a 10:1 mix the moisture in the air helps curing which is the standard rubber mould or addition cure which is normally translucent 50:50 mix and a slight bit of heat helps.

Resin a minefield for the unwary so many companies selling the same stuff in different tins.

One company sends me a sample of their "new" resin which is the same stuff from many years.

My own poison is Axson now Sika F38 or F180  these do about 95% of our work the other 5% is a bit complicated  stuff.

To make things easy I have used one supplier since I started and through a strange twist we both started our companies on the same day.

So call Neills Materials https://www.neillsmaterials.co.uk/  and they are based in Bury St Edmonds!!

If you get in touch and ask for Tom, Chris, Russel or Justin mention Bob at MDC resins and rubbers.

please contact me if you have and questions or need any help.

Bob

Mark nearly all of the resin now will take paint now, I think I remember the product you are talking about and at that I will say no more :help:

Best way now is wash the resin parts in warm soapy water,dry the a clean with isopropyl alcohol and then prime, I use Mr Surfacer Primer Surfacer 1500 straight from the can I've been treating masters/3D prints and castings for a "few" years and it's not let me down.

Bob

Sorry Mark, and Iain

I ve  to read twice what you want to do with "some bizarre ritual where I swear a pact to have carnal knowledge with a goat" an "egg whisk and a frozen chicken, on a full moon..." or "goats or bats but "eye of newt and dragon spawn " ......

:D:D:D

Now, i ve understood the alchimy issues of the question, lol

Fab

1 hour ago, fab said:

Sorry Mark, and Iain

I ve  to read twice what you want to do with "some bizarre ritual where I swear a pact to have carnal knowledge with a goat" an "egg whisk and a frozen chicken, on a full moon..." or "goats or bats but "eye of newt and dragon spawn " ......

:D:D:D

Now, i ve understood the alchimy issues of the question, lol

Fab

British sense of humour Fab! :) I think the Brexit negotiators need a bit of alchemy to resolve the “hubble, bubble, toil and trouble”. (Mods: that’s NOT politics! :huh:). 

Edited by mozart

• 1 month later...

yes, as a follow up to this, if one is planning to use a vacuum chamber, what is the best resin/silicone to get for casting parts at home? Working in the CONUS, but could probably do an international order. thank you 

Edited by thunderbolt1988

No need to go abroad Polytech can get you all the stuff you need.

https://www.polytek.com/

I've been using Polytek rubber both the condensation and addition cure for over 25 years they are the best in my opinion it depends on what you want to do  on the rubber choice, on the resin side my normal bulk resins are European but due to the S*$t S*%"w at present I have been trialing other resins and Polytech Easyflo 60 is the best by far only the cost to me in the UK stops me from using it as my primary resin I have trialled  it to all my customers and none of them could tell the difference :).

On home use depending on what you are doing I would be looking a 5 kgs rubber and 2kgs (1 plus) for resin as my unit buy.

If you need any more info just drop me a line.

Bob 

Mark,

Sorry to hear you had problems but we are in strange times if I can help in any way let me know, when we moved to LIncolnshire a couple of years ago I found a box with my first model castings :blowup: I think I have moved on a bit. 

But if I can help please ask.

Bob