The return of the WNW Taube!

DrDave

7 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Could not agree more, I had never heard of it before WNW, it is a quintessential WNW odd ball and I would not purchase one personally.  Other than just a woodwork and canvase painting exorcise it it not that interesting.  A beautiful plain though can be made from it so I get the reason to build one.

Now I disagree that it isn’t an interesting aircraft. A wing warp style aircraft shaped like a bird. That is super interesting to read about and look at a few pictures of it. I will agree that I wouldn’t and didn’t buy a kit of it, just because my modeling time is limited and I’d rather build other more interesting models. But the taube is an interesting airplane. 

11 minutes ago, is it windy yet? said:

Now I disagree that it isn’t an interesting aircraft. A wing warp style aircraft shaped like a bird. That is super interesting to read about and look at a few pictures of it. I will agree that I wouldn’t and didn’t buy a kit of it, just because my modeling time is limited and I’d rather build other more interesting models. But the taube is an interesting airplane. 

Fully agree that the Etrich Taube is an interesting aircraft.  I get that it may not be well known outside of die hard WWI buffs who, to this day, spend their spare time hanging out at 'The Aerodrome' but it was a significant aircraft (the first to bomb Paris I believe) and I was pleased WNW made it. It looks almost as much of a bugger to rig as a Fokker Spinne (Spider) though!

Edited by Archimedes
Typo

6 hours ago, Tnarg said:

The Taube mold could be expanded to provide multiple versions of the aircraft including the earlier air race version and a striking Austro-Hungarian plane with red and white striped fuselage. They could go further to release an Antionette Monoplane (or Monobloc), and follow on with the balance of the amazing planes from the movie "Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines"....

Oh, sorry, did I say that out loud? I must have been dreaming or in a parallel universe where people would actually purchase a model of a Trajan Viua or a Phillips Multiplane or any of the amazing pre-WWI aircraft. "Not the droids you were looking for, you can move along".

Saddened but realistic,

Tnarg

...and a Demoiselle. Yes! I want them all! You can say that out loud for sure - we can but dream Grant...

8 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

...and a Demoiselle. Yes! I want them all! You can say that out loud for sure - we can but dream Grant...

The early aircraft are not all that hard to scratch build. The only problem is inventing an easy way to make the wings.

Back in the antediluvian days we could cut the ribs out of balsa or card stock and assemble the wings like they did for real back then. Then cover with silkspan, or nylon or silk, or the new materials; paint 'dope' on them so when dry they would shrink to those nice curved shapes. But what do we do today?

If we had the money and training in 3D printing we could create the wings. 

Nah. It is easier to wait for someone to make a kit so I can buy one and put it in my stash and never think about it ever again. 

:beer4:

Ssculptor

3 hours ago, ssculptor said:

The early aircraft are not all that hard to scratch build. The only problem is inventing an easy way to make the wings.

Back in the antediluvian days we could cut the ribs out of balsa or card stock and assemble the wings like they did for real back then. Then cover with silkspan, or nylon or silk, or the new materials; paint 'dope' on them so when dry they would shrink to those nice curved shapes. But what do we do today?

If we had the money and training in 3D printing we could create the wings. 

Nah. It is easier to wait for someone to make a kit so I can buy one and put it in my stash and never think about it ever again. 

:beer4:

Ssculptor

So desperately cynical...but nonetheless true for being it. :D

I can't believe this is anything but the Taube tool maker boasting of their prowess and looking for work, or claiming that they can do the same. BTW that wing is indeed mighty impressive, the fabric is so thin it's translucent and perfectly consistent. 

I also can't believe that anyone would reissue the kit, it's just far too obscure a subject, tho props to WnW for having done it in the first place, with the English pushers it's one of their best offbeat early-flight contraptions. 

“We are mold and plastic products manufacturer, our factory in Guangdong PRC and our head office in Hong Kong. Plastic watch and scale model kitset molds and production are our mainly business.

--   We built up website on 2020.

--   The high quality of WW1 (World War One) aircraft scale model kitset tooling and production for New Zealand market from 2007.

--   1:35 tank and 1:72 Star War product's model kitset molds and production for Japan market from 2002

--   We are doing plastic watch molds from 1998.”

If anyone thinks that re-popping the WNW kits line (legally or otherwise) of the more esoteric subjects such as this 'Taube' will be a money spinner, then they will catch a mighty financial cold! 

In no way should the panic buying and outright speculators pricing currently seen on eBay for many in the range (inc. the Taube) be seen or interpreted as representative of sincere demand, subject desirability and true marketability. They could hardly shift this kit (and stuff like the Felixstowe, B2 and new big Gothas) before they went belly-up; much less what will clearly be (or considered to be) an inferior overall package if re-released.

Don't forget as well that many kits in the WNW line up took over 10 years to sell out such as the Brisfit and J1 and many, many others 5+ years. In all that time, I don't recall hearing any news that WNW were having to make extra production runs (other than their no-brainer 'specials') just to keep up with demand..?

The (only) profit making kits if sold legally or licenced IMHO would be the single seaters; especially the DV/Dva, Fokker DVII, Camel, SE5a and possibly the Pfalz DIIIa. All the others if acquired legally (and given what PJ would ask for them), then I sincerely doubt any of them would ever turn a penny/cent in profit for the new 'lucky' owner. Personally, I will believe this story when I see it as I can't see someone like PJ letting someone steal 'his baby' after all the effort and overt passion he invested into the project and last but not least, the hurt and public embarrassment due to adverse media reporting of his business portfolio that the loss of his WNW company and vision must have caused him deep down.

Gary 

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

If the Taube and the other “obscure” kits were now sold at half the original price as “weekend editions” e.g., one decal option, no PE maybe some model builders would try one.  

There are/were a lot of ppl who couldn't afford WNW's prices.  Initially I balked at paying.  So...  some would sell if priced nicely.  If you looked at them as additions to your existing line, thee would be no issue with re-popping them.  You just wouldn't go crazy with it.  I wonder how many Dr.1's Meng has sold already.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Lots and lots.

:beer4: we’re all in this together! Think I’ve got an oversupply already 

PS To its detractors: The Taube in an amazing kit but no way I’m paying double for something that still may retail for a price to be baulked at before WNW closing.