Painting Parts........On the sprues or off???

Nachtjaeger

Ok gentlemen Im curious on this one. I know a couple of friends that love to paint their parts on the sprue and the other 3 will paint their parts off the sprue and use every holder they own to secure them while painting. I usually will paint some on the sprues and others off.

I've always been an "off" guy, as I never saw the point of having to come back and clean up the clipped sprue attachment points and touch up the paint, possibly causing a mismatch. It makes more sense where that isn't a factor, but I find working with parts while still on the sprue pretty unwieldy.

Kev

16 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've always been an "off" guy, as I never saw the point of having to come back and clean up the clipped sprue attachment points and touch up the paint, possibly causing a mismatch. It makes more sense where that isn't a factor, but I find working with parts while still on the sprue pretty unwieldy.

I cant say I could have said it better myself.

Off for me. More often than not the part needs to be cleaned up including seam lines and the points where it's attached to the sprue. It's usually easy to attach a cleaned up part to a toothpick (cocktail sticks for you guys who drive on the wrong side of the road) or something for spraying or brush painting.

Edited by AlbertD

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

Exactly.......makes sense.

15 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I cant say I could have said it better myself.

Yes also any model worth presenting needs mold seam lines cleaned up too. Yes you can do this on the sprue but you wont get all of it.

Too much risk and the short cut of no seam removal takes it out of consideration...for me anyway.

In between for me, I clip parts from the sprue but leave a "tail" usually with the part number on, then I can hold them with clips and paint them in batches, I only leave one point of contact so clean up is easy. This also makes it easy to hold parts when detail painting is called for.

6gIUUs.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

I would say 90% of the time i paint off sprue. 

The parts that do get a on sprue pain job get the same treatment as dennismcc mentioned above

Main reason like mentionned by others is parts clean up and tests fit. I also like todo most assemblies/dry fit unpainted since tamiya extra thin makes a mess on painted surfaces

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, I tend to paint the small parts ON sprue since the clean up is minor (as noted by Kev) but I also take note of the sprue attachment and if it is in a too noticeable location, then OFF it goes.

One of my more extreme examples...

TrH9ph.jpg

Painting small bits on the sprue

jIJzNp.jpg

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Actually, I tend to paint the small parts ON sprue since the clean up is minor (as noted by Kev) but I also take note of the sprue attachment and if it is in a too noticeable location, then OFF it goes.

One of my more extreme examples...

TrH9ph.jpg

Painting small bits on the sprue

jIJzNp.jpg

Very Cool!!!