How early do you start planning your next build?

AlbertD

13 hours ago, RadBaron said:

Often times, I've set up a plan for a build before I've even bought the kit. 

Lots of the time, seeing a new subject announced gets the creative juices flowing. Its a deadly expensive way of looking at the hobby. Why oh why can't I just be content whittling down my existing stash!?

I sell one, then buy three. That certainly does change the math, just in the wrong direction.

9 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

One rule I always stick to is never start a new build before the previous one is finished. My house is too small to have loads of half-finished kits everywhere.

Me too. Absolutely no exceptions to this rule, except of course for all of the exceptions,... which I can easily justify.

I also tend to plan, then buy the kit for the idea. However I start to think about the next build towards the end of the current. Many a time I see a kit for sale on here and instantly imagine what the finished article would look like. 

Then talk myself out it:BANGHEAD2:

Big projects sometimes burn me out and I can’t start another project right away. I may take weeks or months to start modelling after a largish project...like now I guess.
sometimes I’ll even contemplate tossing the whole lot and just go fishing if I get a really bad burnout. (more often) it’s from kit to kit like Tarzan swinging on vines. Now that I think of it, since lay-off last October and the Covid lockdown I’ve burnt through about 23 kits.

2 hours ago, chrish said:

Big projects sometimes burn me out and I can’t start another project right away. I may take weeks or months to start modelling after a largish project...like now I guess.
sometimes I’ll even contemplate tossing the whole lot and just go fishing if I get a really bad burnout.

Exactly the same. I thoroughly enjoy the builds as I do throw myself into it, although I don’t model every day. But when I finish I very rarely start immediately. Last time it was probably 5 months between finish/starting.....

My process isn't nearly as organized as the OP's. 

I have many projects in a working rotation, all the time.  

I like to work on the one that intrigues me at the moment.

If the mojo isn't there to work on a given kit, even if I've spent a lot of time on it already, I wrap all sub-builds up in toilet paper (!), put everything away in the box, and even write down notes to myself for the future.

Sometimes I don't get back to a started kit for a couple of years!

I usually start thinking about my next build while my current project is in work.

By the time I am down to the last week or so of the current one, I know what I'll tackle next.

I will only build 1 at a time, or they won't get finished. I have a few unfinished 1/48 scale models in the attic from trying multiple builds.

I usually also end up buying 2 for each 1 I build.

My current dilemma is I am out of display cabinet space, so I'll probably sell a few to buy a new display case. 

My process is fairly straightforward.

I buy the kits that interest me, watch out for aftermarket for it and buy what I want, then stick the lot in the stash.  Once I've finished my current project, I decide what to do next, if I'm not taking a break, then change my mind a couple of times before going back to my original pick, and open it up.  Once I've looked at all the sprues, I usually have an itch to glue something, 0r if not, I'll stick it back in the stash and think again.  Once I've made a final decision, I'll start researching, starting with my books before I get on the interwebs.  Then I'll get to building.

Not convoluted at all, really.  :lol:

Cheers,

Michael