F-4 CBU

Finn

Interesting dispensers.   Any idea what they are?   Long ago, I vaguely recall reading about some CBU dispenser that had to be kept filled with liquid nitrogen to keep the bomblets stable.  Supposedly there was a gauge in the cockpit to monitor the temp and at a certain point in the process, if thawed enough they needed to be jettisoned.  Thought it looked somewhat like the ones above.  

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Interesting dispensers.   Any idea what they are?   Long ago, I vaguely recall reading about some CBU dispenser that had to be kept filled with liquid nitrogen to keep the bomblets stable.  Supposedly there was a gauge in the cockpit to monitor the temp and at a certain point in the process, if thawed enough they needed to be jettisoned.  Thought it looked somewhat like the ones above.  

The dispensers carried various bomblets and even chaff so it is hard to point out the official designation unless you read the lettering on the side. I think the ones that were cooled by Freon were the Gravel mines. Here are a couple more pics:

4439949537_f4f8773d31_o.jpg

ubonw3.jpg

Jari

Edited by Finn

Just out of curiosity, how many out there have ever seen in real life or in a photo an AF camoed F-4 with random black pylons?  (The all black Navy Phantoms don't count.)

I'd love to learn the circumstances resulting in the black and red pylon in the last photo above.  Was it part of some sort of test?  Did the squadron commander one day declare that all aircrew would grow mustaches and the maintainers would repaint random pylons in order to improve morale?  Did red and black become the new white at some point?  I admit to being completely stumped because I have seen exactly one example, although I have not researched the topic with more than passing diligence.  Inquiring minds want to know.  Opinions and explanations will not be fact checked, BTW, at least not by me.    

The 497th TFS Night Owls painted the bottoms of some of their a/c black as they mainly flew at night, including FAC missions:

090308-F-9999M-001.JPG

When pylons, and other parts are removed for inspection or whatever, they go back on the next a/c that needs them even if the colours don't match

Jari