Hobbyboss Invader - B26K Aftermarket?

Nailcreek

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

If you can make an *accurate* 1/32 B-26K conversion set and sell it for US$100 and make money at it, please be my guest.   I dare you to try. You completely missed the fact that you need two entirely new engine nacelles, and since the kit has 14 cylinder engines, new engines as well.

I did not miss that but a conversion is not a correction! The canopy, fuselage cross-section, engines or cowlings issues are there whatever A-26 you want to build. This has nothing to do with a mark change. Obviously, if you consider that a B-26K conversion should also correct all the kit problems, this is quite different but even in that case we would still be far from 500 usd. Simply have a look at the price of full resin twin engine kits, they are noticeably cheaper (typically around half of that price). 

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I did not miss that but a conversion is not a correction! The canopy, fuselage cross-section, engines or cowlings issues are there whatever A-26 you want to build. This has nothing to do with a mark change. Obviously, if you consider that a B-26K conversion should also correct all the kit problems, this is quite different but even in that case we would still be far from 500 usd. Simply have a look at the price of full resin twin engine kits, they are noticeably cheaper (typically around half of that price). 

PM inbound...........

Well, all the BS aside, i'll buy another "invader" kit, and go to work on it, in order to TRY and have myself a "K" version in MY display case...............you'll notice i put "my" in capitals, because that has been my problem all along: trying to build for my peers?????  No way, the fun in building has to be brought back again....

J.

17 hours ago, Jack said:

Well, all the BS aside, i'll buy another "invader" kit, and go to work on it, in order to TRY and have myself a "K" version in MY display case...............you'll notice i put "my" in capitals, because that has been my problem all along: trying to build for my peers?????  No way, the fun in building has to be brought back again....

J.

That’s what we used to call ‘scale modelling’ in the last century. :beer4:

I guess my irritation/issue overall is not that it can't be made more accurate by a "real tough-guy elite modeler" and dirty kit assemblers should just go cry in the corner, its that this is a $150+ kit that is such a low effort from them I have so little inclination to reward them with my cash.

Maybe y'all are making big $$ in the current environment and dropping $150 on a kit is pocket change, but I expect SOME level of quality/research/accuracy for that money.

23 minutes ago, petrov27 said:

Maybe y'all are making big $$ in the current environment and dropping $150 on a kit is pocket change, but I expect SOME level of quality/research/accuracy for that money.

Indeed. If I was more passionate about the B-26 maybe Id pick it up, but under the circumstances, it seems unlikely. 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Indeed.  But good luck finding some 1/48 KC-135 wheels for your project :)

I don’t mean to say that I can do anything - everyone has his limits - but if I was motivated enough, I wouldn’t let the kit contents stop me.
At least, there’s a kit to start with. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, quang said:

I don’t mean to say that I can do anything - everyone has his limits - but if I was motivated enough, I wouldn’t let the kit contents stop me.
At least, there’s a kit to start with. :rolleyes:

For me, I would say that is 100% the key; motivation.  If I have enough of  it, I can move mountains to get what I need, but if its just so-so, then that seems like WAY more effort to go to than Id be willing to put in.

Jennings, please have a look back at your files. Initial B-26K cowlings were not noticeably different from the standard B-26B/C ones. The so-called 'Congo' modification intended to improve airflow appeared after some years of use in SEA. It was named 'Congo' as it was based on a field modification of the cowlings of the small group of CIA-operated B-26 that operated in Africa. And the change was limited to the upper area of the cowling as they removed the front intake and its channel. So you can build a B-26 K without them. There are enough wartime pictures showing it. 

18 minutes ago, ssculptor said:

I still do not know it this kit is 1/32 or 1/48 scale! Or are there two kits under discussion.

:wacko:

Ssculptor

The HB Invader is 1/32 scale.  The only time 1/48 was even mentioned is the example of the CE 1/48 K conversion for what might be in a conversion for the 1/32 HB kit.  Don’t know how it could be read any other way.

49 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The HB Invader is 1/32 scale.  The only time 1/48 was even mentioned is the example of the CE 1/48 K conversion for what might be in a conversion for the 1/32 HB kit.  Don’t know how it could be read any other way.

Now I really am confused. 1/48 conversion for a 1/32 model?:ph34r: