Hobbyboss Invader - B26K Aftermarket?

Nailcreek

6 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d be very surprised if one ever came out.  The kit has landed with a thud with it’s various issues.  There would be a fair amount of work needed to convert it to a K model, on top of what’s needed to correct it, so it would probably be pretty expensive.

True that ... and the K conversion would be the least of it.  Still, the basic K parts wouldn't be that significant, new rudder, cowlings, engines, props, wheels and pylons.  Oh well!

Its a good thing you guys are assemblers, not model makers. 

A model maker will modify the kit he is working on to correct the errors.

An assembler will assemble the kit, do a bang up job with the paint and markings and be proud of what he accomplished in spite of the kits errors.

Early on (76 years ago I started making models) I was forced to be a modeler because the early kits were no more than blocks of balsa wood.

As the years rolled by my modelling time became diminished because of other necessary "things to do". Those included going to school, working as a mechanical designer, then teaching, finding the right woman, getting married, buying cars and keeping them running, buying a house, raising our children, keeping the cars running, making my sculpture, and now writing novels. Little free time left. 

So I became an assembler. Thus I can never criticize anyone for just assembling kits, that's me too. 

Now I am so busy all I have time for is buying models others have assembled.

BUT I don't whine and  nitpick the kits I buy. I consider them to be starting points and work from there. I'm an adult, not a child. 

There is nothing wrong with reporting errors in new kits, especially at todays prices. But watch out you don't become a whining child as you write.

Ssculptor

How is it, with all the technology available today for model manufacturers, that they can design and release a kit with so many errors????

Honestly, with the price of model kits these days, it's hard for me to put that kind of money into so many obvious errors that should have been taken care of in the design stage. I'm not a rivet counter but I have heard about all the errors in this kit. Really? Not even the right number of cylinders on the engines?!?! That's on an entirely different level than, say, the plastic being 1.3mm too short.

-Ro

like Stephen said.....stop whining, work it out if you like to build an  Invader with the "tools" you have at the moment, and disregard the short commings, despite the fact that it could have been delivered properly by the manufacturer, but it's the only game in town at the moment and it's possible to have a great representation of this aircraft (even later models) by using your craftsmanship to establish this effort, and if not able walk away from it..............

4 hours ago, Rowen said:

How is it, with all the technology available today for model manufacturers, that they can design and release a kit with so many errors????

Garbage in = garbage out.   This is what happens when folks who dont care about their subject research and release a kit of it.   

You "model makers" want to spend a year polishing up this turd to get it presentable, have at it.  More power to you and I look forward to seeing your builds.   On a related note, it speaks a great deal about how bad this one is that we aren't seeing any builds of this kit online. 

Edited by John1

Not going to argue with those here re the difference between assemblers and modelers, because you have a very valid point.  But it's equally valid, as Rowen pointed out, that a model released today should not be so shoddy out of the box.  Doubly so, given the price of models nowadays.

One on which I won't be spending my hard earned.

Cheers,

Michael

In spite of all the problems of the kit I would not be surprised seeing some improvement and conversion sets progressively released.

Look at the B-24, the wing cross-section is clearly inaccurate and the turrets are awful. This did not prevent many companies from releasing quite a large number of sets (four companies for the cockpit, two for the LG legs, two or three for the wheels, one for the turrets, etc.) and some others are coming.

We just need to be patient.

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It would take an ENORMOUS amount of resin to make a K conversion. And it would probably cost $500 or more.

Why? A set comparable to the Cutting edge 1/48th one would be sufficient. So, the cost could be around a maximum of 100 usd as the minimum set is: one larger rudder, a small rear fuselage tip, a small sheet of photoetched vortex generators, two main wheels, two propellers, two wingtip tanks, a bunch of small pylons and some small antennas. Obviously you can add some black boxes for the cockpit and rear compartment plus possibly some cluster or incendiary bombs as well as optional engine cowlings with the so-called Congo modification. However, this can stay optional. Accordingly I do not see where that mountain of resin would be used...? 

On 9/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, Rowen said:

Honestly, with the price of model kits these days, it's hard for me to put that kind of money into so many obvious errors that should have been taken care of in the design stage. I'm not a rivet counter but I have heard about all the errors in this kit. Really? Not even the right number of cylinders on the engines?!?! That's on an entirely different level than, say, the plastic being 1.3mm too short.

-Ro

Its a special talent.:lol:

If you're going to go that crazy with fixing the kit while converting it, why not correct the position of the wing and the fuselage cross section forward of the rear gunner compartment while you're at it?

I have a fun little build planned for the -C when it comes out in a few weeks. I'll correct the most visible parts of the cockpit, fix the cowlings and chuck in a dummy engine front, but that's it aside from the unique details I need for this particular build.  I can live with that degree of accuracy for the Invader but I can also see how some people will want to put a lot more effort and/or resin into this to make that beauty look even more "real"