Applying Future Before Applying Primer Or Paint

James Rademaker

Guys,

I have a question regarding prepping the plastic for paint. Has anyone used Future before applying primer or paint to smooth out any residual scratches? I have been heavily sanding my REVELL Corsair and thought that applying Future might help remove fine scratches before primer. Any thoughts?

Jim

That's what a good sandable primer is for. I'm not sure Future would sand very well. You also need to use progressively finer sand pads or paper until you get the finish your after. If you go too fine too fast it will be very hard to get the scratches out.

Edited by AlbertD

Mr Primer Surfacer 1500 in grey,black or white, I've been using it since it came out, nearly all the work going through the casting shop are treated, most off small scratches and 3D print lines can be covered without loss of detail.

I had a brass large scale railway part came in which we had treated but some scratches had been added,during a "conversion" a quick flash over "from the rattle can" they vanished.

It saves me so much time when I am moulding up masters.

Bob

On 9/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, nmayhew said:

No

if you are concerned about the surface of any model you should address it with sanding

Totally agree.  If you can detect scratches from sanding, you need to use finer grits of sandpaper to remove it.  Using primers or other paints to fill scratches also fills fine detail.  I have an example I posted only yesterday.

Before.  Pretty nasty and the scratches are deep with #400 grit sandpaper.

MBY2tT.jpg

After  Using #1000 grit sandpaper and nothing else to smooth out the plastic

nOnj93.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Like chuck demonstrated. Sanding from rouph to smooth. Js a great way to do it. 

In most times for seams i apply some tamiya surface primer with a buche on the seam before sanding. That way i find it easier to level out without going too deep in the plastic. 

For the fine scratches mr surface 1500 black is a dark magic product. 

Another tric that was not mentioned that might be a good route for comple model smoothing is using a polishing head on a dremel at low speed with tamiya corse polishing compound. Done right the plastic will come out like it just had the best gloss coat of its life