Polikarpov I-16 - Spanish Airforce

First masks applied

Here's a picture of the applied masks.

I had to do them the other way round. Usually I would have laid down the brught colours first and the black parts at last.

Now all hope is on the MRP red to get a decent finish.

880660-34859-24-1440.jpg

The colour for the black part of the insignia and codes is a 50/50 mixture of Tamiya nato black and gloss black. That's just atad lighter than pure black.

Next step (later today): the white behind the St.Andrew's cross and as a base for the yellow/red roundels on the wings.

A brief update.

I laid down the white base (Tamiya flat white with some clear) and twent with some random variation and higlighted rib tapes.

882430-34859-21-1440.jpg

The wings recieved the same base for the roundels since I don't want to make it too hard for the yellow to cover.

882431-34859-56-1440.jpg

After some decent drying time I started to blend the white in with a mixture from Gunze#s off white and some Tamiya white. I sprayed the colour really thin with lacquer thinner.

Everything looked good until I pulled the tape the next day:

882429-34859-24-1440.jpg

Some weird stuff happened at the borders and there was even some creeping underneath the tape which I've never had any trouble until now.:BANGHEAD2:

Time for touch ups I guess. Maybe it's a good time to get back to my zipper and the gazillion stencils.