Polikarpov I-16 - Spanish Airforce - DONE!

Fanes

I've been going back and forth wether to participate in this GB or not.

There are some trainers in my stash (e.g. the Bü 131) but my main topic is recon planes and therfor most trainers will be build as liaison planes.

Speaking of recon birds: my FR IXc Spit is still sitting on the shelf waiting for completion...

Anyway I chose a rather simple subject:

850110-34859-23-1440.jpg

A Polikarpov Type 10 in the (post war) colours of the Spanish Airforce. Some of the former republican Ratas were used as training aircraft at Moron airbase until mid fiftys!

I bought the ICM decals some time ago but I think I'll ditch them since I gained a lot of confidence with cutting maks on my Silhouette Portrait.

The only addition (so far) is the beautiful brass landing gear from Aerocraft.

Stay tuned

Joachim

Edited by Fanes
title change

This will be great to see!  And a very interesting subject - I had no idea any of these aircraft were still in military use into the 50s (although a few are still operational in private hands today, which is itself amazing). I have a Hasegawa boxing of this kit that is slated to get built as a Soviet loaner to the Nationalist Chinese circa 1939.  I will be very interested to hear how your build progresses.

12 minutes ago, Wackyracer said:

Excellent, will follow along, dont forget the Spit though :D

It's not forgotten Aaron! As soon as I finish my zipper; I'll crave for some scratch builing (still have to do the camera mounts).

7 hours ago, Alex said:

This will be great to see!  And a very interesting subject - I had no idea any of these aircraft were still in military use into the 50s (although a few are still operational in private hands today, which is itself amazing). I have a Hasegawa boxing of this kit that is slated to get built as a Soviet loaner to the Nationalist Chinese circa 1939.  I will be very interested to hear how your build progresses.

Neither did I! The Spanish AF did use a lot of WW2 props (Ju 52 and He 111) until 1957. I think you will enjoy your build. It really is a beautiful kit.

57 minutes ago, mozart said:

Good to see you here in the GB Joachim, right decision! And what an interesting subject, well worth watching to see this one develop. 

Max - I couldn't let you storm ahead with your entries and just sit there and watch ;)

Chosen subject

Unusually I've already settled for one particular airframe before I touched the plastic.

It's C.8-25 from Morón aviation school (please note the accent :D). There are some colour pictures from a museum but that seems to be just a replica.

After some hours without any results I finally found pictures from the original airframe.

28413.jpg

It's upposed to be painted in the standard light blue/green scheme, oversprayed with a sand colour in a squiggly matter. Eduard in their 1/48 kit and ICM depict the colour scheme as sand base with green mottle which makes no sense to me.

Onto the plastic

Even more unusual for me, I decided to start with the engine. It's detailing is okayish but suffers from flash. Displaying the engine by leaving of the cowling panels isn't an option right now. I just don't have the motivation to do major scratch building.

850508-34859-73-1440.jpg

One thing that's absolutely necessary is hollowing out the exhausts since they will be very visible. It takes a lot of time but I think it's worth the effort.

850509-34859-42-1440.jpg

And not much later on, there already is acomplete dry fit

850507-34859-25-1440.jpg

The dry fit revealed that the fuselage to wing join needs some reinforcement. I copied the typical short run fashion for mounting tabs.

850506-34859-34-1440.jpg

As you can see in the lower left the trailing edge needs some clean up. I used some stretched sprue to have some material to shape.

So far it's a joy and I can see quick builders finish this one up over a weekend.

Hi!

Great choice for the GB! The I-16 is a fine kit.

Note your aircraft has a typical Spanish canopy composed of flat panels, and a slightly raised spine to afford more protection in case of rollover.

The Spanish used their aircraft for an extensive period of time.

The Heinkels were still in service in the mid sixties when the Battle of Britain movie was filmed. The 109s had been retired only a year before...

Alain

6 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi!

Great choice for the GB! The I-16 is a fine kit.

Note your aircraft has a typical Spanish canopy composed of flat panels, and a slightly raised spine to afford more protection in case of rollover.

The Spanish used their aircraft for an extensive period of time.

The Heinkels were still in service in the mid sixties when the Battle of Britain movie was filmed. The 109s had been retired only a year before...

Alain

You're absolutley right Alain - thanks for your input. I found some more pictures of spanish I-16s and already wondered about the canopy. And now that you mentioned it, I can't unsee the raised spine!
So much for a quick and easy build :lol:

Cheers

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

The I-16 you chose is interesting because it was the last to fly in August 1953.

The modifications noted above were done around 1948, so before that time they all appeared in standard configuration. I have found a color profile of 1W-6 at the same aviation  school in a sand, brown and green camo. The date stated is 1940-1941. I have not found a photo to confirm the profile, but if are interested in modeling a different 1-16, this one would not require any modifications.

Alain

Edit!:

I have found a photo of this aircraft, and it has the standard green over blue with heavy sand overspray.

Edit 2!

I had the photo in a book, but found it online on Massimo Tessitori's website in the I-16 section. This aircraft had roundels top/bottom of the wings.

JC8B8YQ.jpg 

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Alain - that's good to know!

My ambition wants me to do C.8-25 in the modified configuration (so much to a quick build).

After some reesearch I found out that Quinta Studios (those who stirred soem discussion about printed IPs) make a set of vac canopies in 1/48 - including the modified version with falt side panels! Maybe they'll release one in 1/32, too..

1W-6 seems to be one of the more popular I-16s. Usually displayed after said profile. It's a good backup I guess.

Engine and cockpit works

Well, I haven't decided on what to do with the spanish I-16 specialities but moved on with other stuff.

Namely the engine. Little to nothing will be seen through the louvres, so I opted for a fast finish.

Tamiya silver (Alclad is a waste in this place), dark wash and some flat black - that's it.

853598-34859-16-1440.jpg

And yes  I had no motivation to clean up the seam on the cylinder heads. Luckily it's invisible when you're looking from straight ahead.

The exhausts were painted with Alclad jet exhaust and some brown/rust/soot pigments.

I figured that a training aircraft may live longer an therefore get more rusty than a typical combat aircraft from that era.

853597-34859-90-1440.jpg

Turining my attention to the cockpit. The one in the kit is pretty sparse but so is the original. I couldn't resist to do some detailing but that's what will be visible.

Some cables on the port side

853600-34859-50-1440.jpg

Then there's the control column. ICM's representation is very basic:

853596-34859-17-1440.jpg

So I added the two cables from copper wire and tried to refine the trigger mechanism.

The macro really is unforgiving:blink:

853599-34859-23-1440.jpg

Like on a Spitfire the starboard side of the cockpit is more visible due to the cockpit door. I added some copper wire for various cables and hoses.

One more thing deserved more details: the landing gear retracting mechanism. The crank recieved a more reallistically dimensioned grip and I added the actuating wires with some rigging material.

853601-34859-85-1440.jpg

That's it so far. The next update will take some time since both my airbrushes aren't working (bent needle on ma Evolution and a damaged seal on my Badger).

Replacement parts (and a backup airbrush for clear coats) are ordered but haven't showed up yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...