1/16 Panther G, MAN Production, Last Steel Wheel, Feb 45

Uncarina

Let's all say this together.... " Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdpanther (G2)" :clap2:  I'd too take a Tiger Ie but like Kevin, I think the  chances of Trumpeter doing that are slim to nil but we can always hope... If you must build the Hobbyboo-boo kit, hold your nose and have at it.

Haha, yes! I actually have the Taigen late Tiger and have a ton of aftermarket. In fact, I just bought the ring on the hull that was installed on late Tigers to protect the turret. One day it’ll come together! Back on topic, isn’t a Stug in the works? A Jagdpanther would be great too!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

I’ve been very tempted to get the Mato metal tracks, sprockets’s, and idlers. What is keeping me from doing so is the risk/expense factor, which comes down to: would they fit? 

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Haha, yes! I actually have the Taigen late Tiger and have a ton of aftermarket. In fact, I just bought the ring on the hull that was installed on late Tigers to protect the turret. One day it’ll come together! Back on topic, isn’t a Stug in the works? A Jagdpanther would be great too!

Cheers, Tom

Yes, A IIIG, in fact. And yes, the Jagdpanther would also be a "must have" for me.

27 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

I’ve been very tempted to get the Mato metal tracks, sprockets’s, and idlers. What is keeping me from doing so is the risk/expense factor, which comes down to: would they fit? 

Cheers,  Tom

I assume you're talking tracks for the Tiger I? If so, please take a real good look at some of the big 1:16 tracks. Sometimes they're straight copies of the kit tracks, ejector pin marks and all, which for the money they ask, is really quite ridiculous.

I actually have experience working with these types of tracks, and they vary a great deal. Mato makes a set for the Heng Long Panther without pin marks and with the teeth having the correct holes. Question is, would they fit? I have a set of Heng Long idlers ordered, and then I can get an idea by comparing with the kit idlers. Will keep you posted!

Cheers,  Tom

Hello guys. I am following this thread closely and I want to say that although the Hobby Boss Tiger I 1/16 is fine I think the market is demanding a 1/16 Tiger I with detailed interior. Trumpeter, if he was smart, should bring out a late Michael Wittman-style Tiger I and they'd sell a ton of tanks. I myself would buy one for sure !! But if Takom takes out that same tank I prefer it to Trumpeter since the details of Takom seem finer than those of Trumpeter. That is to say, indispensable for me Panther, King Tiger and Tiger I, the triad of the felines at 1/16.

Tom,

When you contacted Trumpeter customer service about acquiring the additional sprues for the late war equipment you needed, did you contact Trumpeter in China directly or did you go through a US Distributor (Steven's International)?  if you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for the additional sprues?  I'm finding myself wanting a September/October/November 1944 production machine (since I'm not keen on adding all the zimmerit to the vehicle) and will also need those parts (sans the steel wheels).

Can you say "Disc Camo"...?  I knew ya  could.  I must be crazy but I have a plan for that. (it's called revert to late October/November MNH production without the disk camo!  :lol: !)

Edited by Juggernut

5 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Tom,

When you contacted Trumpeter customer service about acquiring the additional sprues for the late war equipment you needed, did you contact Trumpeter in China directly or did you go through a US Distributor (Steven's International)?  if you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for the additional sprues?  I'm finding myself wanting a September/October/November 1944 production machine (since I'm not keen on adding all the zimmerit to the vehicle) and will also need those parts (sans the steel wheels).

Can you say "Disc Camo"...?  I knew ya  could.  I must be crazy but I have a plan for that. (it's called revert to late October/November MNH production without the disk camo!  :lol: !)

No worries! I emailed their customer service directly. They charged $2/sprue, and $8 for shipping. Don't do what I did and email them with requests three different times for different parts; they stopped responding after they sent the items from the first two emails! I'm looking forward to your build.

Cheers,  Tom

9 hours ago, josebagasteiz said:

Hello guys. I am following this thread closely and I want to say that although the Hobby Boss Tiger I 1/16 is fine I think the market is demanding a 1/16 Tiger I with detailed interior. Trumpeter, if he was smart, should bring out a late Michael Wittman-style Tiger I and they'd sell a ton of tanks. I myself would buy one for sure !! But if Takom takes out that same tank I prefer it to Trumpeter since the details of Takom seem finer than those of Trumpeter. That is to say, indispensable for me Panther, King Tiger and Tiger I, the triad of the felines at 1/16.

Jose,

I agree! Although I would not say no to a Hetzer as well.

Cheers,  Tom

Progress: I repainted the fans and rear tanks per the ref photo Kev shared and the one I dug up. To replicate the oxidized aluminum look I first used Tamiya AS-12 Aircraft Silver as a primer, then added a dilute wash of Vallejo Extreme Metal White Aluminum mixed with Vallejo Neutral Grey. For the rear tanks I just increased the neutral grey percentage. Almost done with the rear, then I'm planning to increase the thickness of the hull top panel forward of the hatches (ref pics to follow) which was applied to late war Panthers. Of all the Panther kits out there in any scale, I believe the 1/35 Takom kit is the only one to incorporate this, and it's definitely noticeable in 1/16. Anyway, pics:

MHUIjXc.jpg

fA4WF97.jpg

w0mg6hg.jpg

IMEDZ0v.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Thanks Greg! Although it pales in comparison with your epic scratchbuild. More progress today: I finished the engine compartment, which is a bit of a milestone. The engineering and fit are pretty impressive considering the tolerances of the convoluted piping! I made an installment in the weathering by adding a wash of Mig Pigments. Next I will be focusing on adding details to the top of the hull.

ub9eWg5.jpg

tvegPQB.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Hmmmmm..... I've got some heartburn with the Panther  External Appearances and Design Changes book i just received.... on page 165, it claims  that the later 665 mm  diameter idler is the one with the single radial supports.  Jentz and Doyle  Panzertracts on the Panther G lists the late one  as the one with the double radial supports (which supports the rest of the information I can find online and in my other panther books, including my Achtung Panzer No. 4).  I'm inclined to believe Jentz & Doyle.  I'm also seeing photo captions that don't necessarily pertain to the photo that they're associated with (they refer to things on a photo that aren't there...such as a capital letter A on the gun travel lock that isn't there in a photo). Is this a known issue with this publication?  I spent a lot of money on this  book and if it's misrepresenting some things and downright wrong on others, I am going to have to have a bit of a dust-up with the publisher and/or the authors.

Taking notes on your build....  I'm not yet ready to start mine.  I may do the King Tiger first since there's already three Panthers  and one Jagdtiger in the piplines.

Edited by Juggernut

On those idlers, that was my take as well, that the later larger ones had the double radial supports. I don’t recall the date they were switched, but only for MAN and MNH Panthers; the DB Panthers kept the early idlers throughout the war.

Hope this helps,  Tom