1/16 Panther G, MAN Production, Last Steel Wheel, Feb 45

Uncarina

I'm also working on the Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G. I am building a late war (Feb 45) version with the early version kit, since the late version only comes with the steel wheels. To do this, I am adding the following from the late version kit:

—crew heater (added after Oct 44)

—flame dampener exhausts

—late idlers (only the Daimler Benz Panthers kept the early idlers late war)

—one set of steel wheels

Fortunately the early version includes the chin mantlet option (introduced Sept 44) already. Now, I did mess up when I contacted Trumpeter's customer service by ordering only one sprue of the late idlers, so I have only one! I'm hoping that I can order another from them, but if not I will get two of the Heng Long version on E-bay. For references I have "Achtung Panzer 4" which has some really nice drawings, and various web sources.

My emphasis will be the exterior, but I won't completely ignore the inside, so I've purchased some Archer stencils and Tamiya Fine Red Primer. Late war there are some really eye-catching (at least for me) schemes to choose from: the brown diagonal bands with dunkelbelb stripes over a green base painted on some MNH Panthers, the brown splotches over a green base painted on some MAN Panthers, or the tight elaborate brown and dunkelgelb splotches over a green base on some MAN and Daimler Benz Panthers. The latter is what I am selecting, a last steel wheel version built by the MAN factory:

s56kG7i.jpg

lZQ6wdI.jpg

(shown for reference purposes only)

So far I have built the suspension, the transmission, and the engine. The detail is amazing, and so far I've only added the shield that protects the radio operator from the shock absorber. Note that for late war Panthers the rear two shock absorbers were removed, and the hole left in the bulkhead on the right side is replaced by a steel plate. Since I am building a Feb 45 version, the interior hull will be painted with red primer only (starting October 44 the complete interior was painted this color until February 45 when the turret interior was again white, allegedly due to complaints from crew members about visibility). Here's where I'm at so far:

0Akfgu8.jpg

CdXKEll.jpg

p6dZpZl.jpg

6TCJwPc.jpg

60l8KiH.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Hi Tom,

I like what I see but it just does not look like an Abrams! I also see Ryan has taken the plunge into Large Scale Armor.

Here is some eye candy and a little motivational build.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23490

Enjoy,

Barry

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Great to see another big armor project going here. I'll look forward to seeing more.

Kevin thanks! You are leading the way with your epic Jagdtiger build.

58 minutes ago, josebagasteiz said:

This is fantastic, invasion of Panthers !!! It's quite a show. Cheer up Tom !! ;)

Jose, thanks! Your build is inspiring me.

19 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Love it Tom, thanks for joining the invasion force!

Ryan

Ryan, my pleasure! But with other commitments, this might be a slow build. Looking forward to seeing yours take shape!

Cheers,

Tom

20 minutes ago, Barry said:

Hi Tom,

I like what I see but it just does not look like an Abrams! I also see Ryan has taken the plunge into Large Scale Armor.

Here is some eye candy and a little motivational build.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23490

Enjoy,

Barry

Barry,

Thanks for checking in, and your Abrams work is unmatched! My Abrams is still there--might be the momentum from this build carries that one to the finish line. Thanks for the link! That is inspiring. Interesting tank commander too.

Cheers,  Tom

• Uncarina changed the title to 1/16 Panther G, MAN Production, Last Steel Wheel, Feb 45

More progress: I've completed and installed most of the engine compartment, and will add weathering once everything is installed. As Dave Parker writes in his King Tiger build, these tanks lasted less than 9 months, so like him I will be limiting the weathering to fluid spatters and light dusting. Panzer Marsch!

DiljQvg.jpg

7XCG0Hq.jpg

xa6Nuyo.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

I cant see the images either Tom...I am on an Ipad, I have the same problem with some other threads lately as well, maybe they are using flicker too and  theres a problem somewhere along the line, but I'm stuffed if I know what it is.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

When I post I copy the BBCode and then delete most of it like this:

******https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50392380232_a01fc23713_h.jpg**********   (I placed the asteriks here for clarity)

You then have to hit enter for the image to show up.

50392380232_a01fc23713_h.jpg