Big Brother? I am starting to wonder

LSP_Ron

24 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

We don't mind about your pyjamas...but all those plastic kits???

We will put you in the "deviant" category.

Big Brother inc.

Actually, perfectly rational, as they serve as both insulation and sound barriers. Plus, on a rainy day, I can build myself a fortress from them.

17 hours ago, chrish said:

I have a distrust of computerized electronics as well...furnace, A/C lighting garage door etc. If your car can be hacked why not a house?

Make no mistake about it, if you have these types of electronics in your home, your house can be hacked.  Network-joined stuff (fridges, stoves, toasters, toilets, etc) is collectively called the "internet of things."  I can tell you that very very few of the vendors in the IoT space are giving any thought to network security, so I strongly recommend doing your homework on any home network item before you connect it.  

Good discovery Ron... we have our flat screen modern tv and speakers all connected to a fused power bar. If we want tv on - then we turn the wifi router off... if we want wifi, then power bar for tv and speakers off... then router on... we’ve been doing this for years... no pairing, no streaming, nothing connecting.... if any of that crap tried to hold us hostage then it goes to the recycler.... we have never connected the tv or anything to the wifi... there are no smart devices allowed in the house. Ipads and iphones go into isolation bags when we come home... again we have been doing this for years... we have all the older appliances repaired rather then replaced... throw that crap out that holds you ransom for personal data... or, if you want to have fun - enter fake data like: 

Name: Bill Gates

Address: White House 

etc... etc...

If you really want to get excited - try taking a look at your common house hold printers... they have apps, wifi addresses etc and will even show you all the various signals you are close too... 

The power bar set up allows us to decide if the tv and speakers are really OFF... there was an article published here in Europe regarding NSA approved tv’s in the States that were programmed to only turn off the red power light to trick people into thinking that the device was off... if I go to a hotel room - well the tv cable comes out of the socket first thing... 

We are becoming walking surveillance entities with all the smart devices and cameras that we have with us... I don’t like how society has allowed strangers to think they can point their iphone cameras at others to film or snap pics without ever thinking first to ask... bunch of hedonistic narcissists...  

Families we know don't even sit and eat meals together anymore because of all the e-devices they have... so sad... but, I digress...

Cheers

Alan

My Wi-fi connection is a simple USB device that's plugged into a USB dongle in the front of my PC. When I'm not actively on the web, I just kill the power to it. And I have no Ethernet connection on my motherboard either, at least not one that's connected to anything. Regarding Wi-fi printers, I see absolutely no need for one.

The latest... I am searching the web for service for my 18 year old Guardian whole house generator.  I am having no interest for two days (it is water/radiator cooled and seems to matter).  No company wants my business.  I gave up for a while and got 3 ads for new systems exactly like mine 2 days later while I was reading a news channel from and about France!  So I answered the ads and chopped at them until I found the service.

6 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Network-joined stuff (fridges, stoves, toasters, toilets, etc) is collectively called the "internet of things."

Toilets !!  ??  Do they order more toilet paper when you run low ?

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

It's certainly a strange time,

You guys do know the telephone is an instrument of the devil ...

HF4wNgI.png?1

Interesting fact - a few months ago, I started suffering from tinnitus.  I did a quick look online to read up on it.   This week, lo and behold, I got a spam email offering a miracle cure for ringing in one's ears.   

Coincidence or conspiracy???? 

Reminds me of Arte Johnson as the Russian emigre on Laugh In telling everyone that in his country, television watches you.  Back then, it was a humourous jab at communist states.  Now it's a sad fact of commercial reality.

Now, can anyone watching me let me know the next lottery numbers, please????

Cheers,

Michael