Big Brother? I am starting to wonder

LSP_Ron

Last year my wife bought Wemo wireless light controls for our house for my birthday.  I installed four in the house and one outside.

They are all controlled by an App on your iphone and worked well.  We've had them for about a year then they quit working.  The Wifi app wants us to sign up for an account with full personal information before they will let them work again, no options.  WTF?  No reason given, no idea why?   not happening.   The alarm bells started with it being an app that stops working when they make a change and want you to sign up with all your personal info yet the product is paid for and installed in your house. I'm taking them all out.

Wemo is a solid thumbs down. 

Just a warning, there is no reason for them to require an account with very personal info just to turn on and off your lights unless someone want's more info than you know your giving.

I am not even going to start on Alexis....  

On 9/24/2020 at 5:17 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

The thing is listening to EVERYTHING you say and do, and giving all that information to who knows who for who knows what purpose.

Well in our house the CEO is always watching murder mystery stuff, so god only knows what they think is going on in here:hmmm: oh and did I mention the Crystal Meth lab (we’re watching Breaking Bad at the mo).

Edited by Stevepd

7 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Has anyone ever noticed having a conversation about a product and then noticed adverts appear on your phone? I have.

Graham 

Yup. Happens all the time. Just as an experiment, my wife and I started talking about a trip to Portugal in front of our Google Home. Sure enough, we started getting ads for travel to Portugal. I am not saying that smart devices don't have their uses, but as with everything else, we need to practice common sense and exercise good judgement when using these devices. 

12 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Last year my wife bought Wemo wireless light controls for our house for my birthday.  I installed four in the house and one outside.

They are all controlled by an App on your iphone

My daughter just got a set of LED strip lights that change color.  She can control the lights via a Chinese made app on her phone.  Also I had to connect this little gadget to our home WIFI.  I really thing bluetooth would have been better and direct.  So now I have this little gadget that is always connected to the WIFI...it makes nervous.  I've been checking to see if it is active during times when we are asleep or away. 

Is there any way that thing can snoop other things on the WIFI or anything coming and going off her phone wifi?

34 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Why iphone and not android? Asking for a friend.

I think it is a matter of personal preference. Iphones are simpler to use, much less of a learning curve. Android devices are more flexible and customizable (although Iphone is coming along in that regard) but require more of a learning curve, in my opinion. Personally, I prefer Android phones. As far as security is concerned, I don't think there is much of a difference between the two. Hope this helps!

I am not worried about the men(could be womens) in Black helicopters watching me.  If they are they are wasting a lot of government money and I am keeping them really board.  However, commercial entities want everything they can get on us to sell us more stuff.  I have an OCD stepfather that has tried to push those Amazon speakers on us and we have told him hell no not in our house.  Siri is still probably listening but I just call her offensive names now and then to make her ears burn.  

I saw those adds, I remember the guy that sets the house on fire, he says Alexa buy my wife flowers.  Mine would be Alexa buy me tickets to a country where my wife won’t follow me.  

I have also noticed what I search pops up as an add placement far too often on facebook.  So yea commercial entities are Watching way too much but I try to draw some lines.  If feel like if I really want privacy I know how to do it, turn my computers off and power down my cell phone.  Otherwise I know someone probably can find out what I am doing and where I am.  Mostly though I just don’t care.