1/32 Tornado Help

Aviacom

I’m just about to start my all time favourite aircraft build, as a memorial and dedicated to my late father.

A 1/32 Marineflieger Tornado in the Basalt Grey/Light Grey scheme. 

I have a load of aftermarket for it, but I need some aftermarket wing glove seals and intake covers, could someone point me in the right direction please?

I’m going all out on this build! 
Thanks.

I never did find wing glove seals for my Tornado.   I did notice at least one build on the internet where these were scratch built using thin lead foil.  I plan to use what will be 3 layers of cigarette rolling papers with PVA glue for the seals when I pick up the build later in life. I want to display the model with its wings deployed/open.  I will see how the approach works. 

HTH

Rick

• LSP_K2 changed the title to 1/32 Tornado Help
12 hours ago, Aviacom said:

Are there any ‘Tweak Lists’ for this kit?

No but this kit is globally sound. Out of my memory, here's the list of most important issues:

- The tail shapes are not fully accurate and the nose area is also a little bit suspect but this does not jump to the eyes. 

- The kit is not scribed on the sides, nor over the intakes (most panels are missing). 

- The front lg leg looks too long for a loaded plane. 

- No air intake channel

- No wing movable surface

- Fuselage structure requires additional tabs and ideally bulkheads as it stays flimsy and hence fragile when assembled ootb.

- Accurate bit quite basic seats 

- Correct but basic lg wells and exhausts 

- and the already mentioned wing gloves do not look like the full scale inflatable ones. 

Hth

Thierry 

And to add to Thiery’s list also,

The RWR fairings need thinning & shortening for an RAF aircraft (RWR is country specific and the shape is different).
The Wing Pylons are not correct for an RAF aircraft.

The wing fingers above and below the the join, I razor sawed the grooves, set the wing then glued them to the wing for strength.

Hello,

my first advice is to wait for the new Italeri's Tornado kit.

All the above issues of the Revell's kit should be addressed with the new kit.

I built a Revell's Tornado IDS few months ago... in my opinion it requires too much effort and money to obtain a decent Tornado replica.

But, if you want to go with the Revell's kit, I could show you my way to do hte wing glove seals for my italian Tornado IDS. 

Tornado Wing Seal

When you insert the wing the tape will fold around the wing's profile sealing the gap... Harder to say then to do.

CIAO!

Piero

• 2 months later...

Many moons ago I did a JaBoG-32 final Tiger-Tonka with the Revell-Kit as I was involved in the competition for that Tiger scheme. (That was actually my first entry here on the forum so I wanted to show off and make it worthwhile to look at I confess) Hence I was emotionally quite attached to that bird and went "all out" on the model just as you plan. I wanted moveable wings with seal bags that would adjust and I used flexible foam pads that i covered with thin rubber tissue as you would find on old rubber blankets or bicycle tires. Around post # 8 about to the middle of the first page on below thread you can see what i did reg. the seal bags. For any FOD-covers I am not aware of any aftermarket stuff. I did mine myself. I tried to find someone who could resin cast them according to the masters I did but it sadly never materialized. Here's the link to the thread here on the forum. maybe there is something halfway helpful for you somewhere in there?!

I personally am absolutely convinced of the good ol' Revell Toni in terms of accuracy. I based the DIY-decals on profile-photographs I took of the original which I then adjusted to patterns I did of the model and I almost had nothing to stretch or bend in order to make the tiger stripes sit on the model just as they were on the original. Tells me that the model must be fairly shape accurate. Details have always been a weak spot on Revell's kits but luckily detailing is easier done than correcting a wrong shape.

Edited by bushande