Wheel painting order

Hawkwrench

I'm sure there are multiple ways of doing it.

For myself, if the rims and tires are not separate I normally paint the hub color first then masking is only a matter of cutting a circle. Otherwise masking the tire can be tricky, as occasionally the part of the tire by the rim can be sunken and harder to get a basic circular shape to stick flatly without wrinkles.

1 minute ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Honestly, I do it the other way around! Tyres first, then hubs using either a circle template or a pre-sized circle mask (like Uschi makes).

Yep! I knew there were those who preferred the opposite.

Honestly, I think it boils down to what the individual modeler is comfortable with

1 hour ago, Hawkwrench said:

I just saw the price for the silhouette.  Yeah, I'll pass!!!

Tim

Out of interest what were you expecting?

as someone who now uses masks for every project, I am blowing £25+ a go.

so, probably after 4-8 projects and I am flat on the ‘trade’

my time to learn vs click and pay and it arrives are the only things stopping me but after my current project, I’m done paying for custom masks

Edited by nmayhew

I paid around $100 (actually a 1/32 Tamiya P-51D in trade), roughly about the same as a new 1/32 kit..........

I've been using it now for a couple years, and its paid for itself about 3 times over now.

I dont buy custom decals or masks any more, and never ever worry about a kit that doesnt have the decals I want in it; I now just make up my own schemes on the Silouhette cutter.

Honestly, for the price of 1 new gen 1/32 model, you can have access to any decal or mask set you want.

Very much worth the price IMHO

FWIW, I like to paint the hub first, then the tire, because the hub is usually smooth while the black/grey tire is flat, which is semi-rough.  Done the other way around, the hub will have a semi-rough finish to it before you start painting it.  I also find masking off a central hub easier and the mask is obviously a lot smaller.

Cheers,

Chuck

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to Wheel painting order