Dizzy yet?

LSP_Ron

• LSP_Ron changed the title to Dizzy yet?
14 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I wondered that also

Apparently they're called pendulum vibration absorbers. I found an explanation on reddit "My understanding of them is that they simply passively flop up and down, out of phase (due to their weight/inertia) with the vibration of the rotor blades, and thus reduce the vibration of the blade."

Jonesy was on the money with his intuition that it was a kind of dampner. Here's a link on the theory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

This is a fascinating area of engineering. This is the most spectacular example I can think of that demonstrates why controlling vibration is essential. I forget when I cam across the need for helical vanes on cylindrical chimneys but now everytime I go past one I notice them and recall it as a critical feature. Even my kids know the concept now...lol One of those...hey look at the window at that. amazeballs huh?

1 minute ago, rjones726 said:

LOL, A lucky guess. On a side note, I rode my bike across that bridge yesterday. Well, actually that bridge is several hundred feet underwater...I rode on the new bridge next to its replacement.

Wow. Imagine that coincidence.  Gave me a chuckle...strange world eh.

Cheers Matty

5 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

I forget when I cam across the need for helical vanes on cylindrical chimneys but now everytime I go past one I notice them and recall it as a critical feature.

Very similar in concept to the WWII German habit of winding a steel cable around the periscope mast of submarines, to reduce wake turbulence, I suppose.

51 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Very similar in concept to the WWII German habit of winding a steel cable around the periscope mast of submarines, to reduce wake turbulence, I suppose.

I spent 30 years on Subs and never heard that before. I now have some homework to do :)  It just goes to show that no matter how much experience you have, there is always more to learn.