Memphis Belle weathering patterns

Lee_K

Battery venting is normal but the gasses (Hydrogen) should not be corrosive as they are processed through a sump jar containing sodium bicarbonate (for lead acid batteries) if a little electrolyte makes it through to the sump jar. Gassing is normal during battery charging.  Battery electrolyte (sulphuric acid in lead acid batteries) leakage (sans any battle damage) however, is not normal and would not normally leak out the top of the wing in spite of the lower air pressure than is found inside the wing.  Battery electrolyte leaking comes from over servicing the water level in the battery and subsequently overflows when the battery is charged.  Any overflow should be neutralized in the sump jar.  The battery case is designed to handle an overflow and even in extreme cases, I don't think an overflow would fill the sump jar and then get siphoned out the vent discharge tube.  It is my considered opinion that those metal wear areas are primarily from foot traffic, servicing and maintaining the aircraft.  Having said all that, the entire functionality of the system depends on regular and adequate maintenance.

As a related note; battery compartments in aircraft of that time are usually coated with a bituminous paint that withstood electrolyte spillage and would not adversely affect surrounding structure.  I have no idea whether this was done on WWII combat aircraft or not but I could not find any reference to such a paint (by name) in the B-17G E&R so it might not be applicable to at least this particular aircraft.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

As I think about this more, many aircraft tended to show more foot wear on the port side than on the starboard side.

That's certainly true on fighter aircraft due to the common approach from the port side (a tradition started with mounting horses), with the P-39 being the exception.  On bombers however, it could be just a carryover from fighters as most bombers were accessed via ladders and hatches or through the bomb bay.

27 minutes ago, Lee_K said:

That's certainly true on fighter aircraft due to the common approach from the port side (a tradition started with mounting horses), with the P-39 being the exception.  On bombers however, it could be just a carryover from fighters as most bombers were accessed via ladders and hatches or through the bomb bay.

Well, I was just pointing out that it's seldom, if ever, completely symmetrical.

• 5 months later...

Looking over these images some more today, I have another observation/question. Why does it seem that the port side exhaust streaks more or less flow straight back the wing, toward the trailing edge, while the starboard stains seem to flow across the wing toward the fuselage? I'm guessing this has a lot to do with prop rotation, but don't really know for sure. 

After thinking about this for a minute or three, it most likely is airflow over the wing in addition to prop wash and something called P-factor.  It may be also be a result of the B-17 airfoil/aspect ratio/lateral taper.  I don’t recall seeing this particular anomaly on B-24 or B-29 wings.  I also haven’t noticed the same effect on Lancaster wings either.  I haven’t really studied any of the aforementioned airframes to the same degree as I have the B-17.  Maybe someone can take a look at some other four-engine bomber examples and post their findings.  I am not able to do that any time soon.

If you also look very closely, you'll notice that the  black streaks that seem to originate from the air exhaust vents behind each engine in the wing, actually don't.  They are a continuation from further forward and pass aft in between the exhaust vents.  I think the airflow through the vents disrupts the staining pattern.

Edited by Juggernut

Note that air over the top of the wing tends to migrate inwards and so on one side it adds to the prop wash effect, and the other side against - which is why it's not the same both sides.

It tends to migrate outwards underneath the wing - which is how you get tip vortices, but I digress...

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Induced_Drag

Iain

7 minutes ago, Iain said:

Note that air over the top of the wing tends to migrate inwards and so on one side it adds to the prop wash effect, and the other side against - which is why it's not the same both sides.

It tends to migrate outwards underneath the wing - which is how you get tip vortices, but I digress...

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Induced_Drag

Iain

My same reasoning, and the cause that I guessed above, prop rotation effects behaving differently from side to side, coupled with aerodynamic issues.

17 hours ago, Juggernut said:

If you also look very closely, you'll notice that the  black streaks that seem to originate from the air exhaust vents behind each engine in the wing, actually don't.  They are a continuation from further forward and pass aft in between the exhaust vents.  I think the airflow through the vents disrupts the staining pattern.

By the way, for whatever reason, it is one of the most common errors seen on weathered models!