Fisher F9F-8T/TF-9J Twogar

Landrotten Highlander

Hi guys,

now that my exam and other social commitments are over I am about to commence building a Twogar for this GB.

As this is my first resin kit I will take it slow, so no guarantees it will be finished by then.  I may also ask a lot of questions relating to building techniques for this medium.

Ok, so the version I am going for is the Twogar as stationed in NAS Atsugi, Japan - making Bu No 147413.  Got the kit and  using Naval Fighters number sixty-eight by Steve Ginter as main reference.  Any AM and upgrades used will be discussed as I go along.

Pictures to follow.

slainte,

L.H.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the first pictures go up.

The kit is resin, and has some nice surface detail.  According to my information, there are some issues to correct in the following areas:

Cockpit:

* both PE instrument panels have the correct layout, but the detail of the instrument shapes are wrong - they are circular, but should in reality be square with raised circular rims.

* The seats I will be using are early Martin Baker seats.  The PE seatbelts are designed toshow a seat as displayed into a museum, not as in an aircraft.  So some corrections will be needed there, and I also intend to increase the detailing of the seats themselves.

Fuselage:

* It is very rare to see the speed brakes deployed on the ground, I do have some pictures where they are either partially or fully down when parked.  I can only think that such things happen when either set in this position deliberately (although why remains an unknown to me) or that due to lack of hydraulic pressur in some pipes, gravity has pulled them down.  I will go for this option - Fisher has allowed for it by making sure the moulded speed brakes on the fuselage can be easily removed with a sharp fresh #11 blade.

*  Usually the flaps are fully raised when parked.  Again very few pictures with the flaps down when parked, so I will assume as per the above that gravity was able to pull them down due to lack of sufficient hydraulic pressure in some of the lines.  I have chosen this option.  It will mean I will have to scratch build both the flaps and interior portion on the fuselage.  The flaps in the wings are separate items, and can be detailed a bit more when shown in the down position.

* Wheel bays: nicely moulded basic details, will add level of detail there as well.

Now for some pictures of the kit parts:

tvAZGF3.jpg

LWsMQtW.jpg

kio6yzv.jpg

uQFc9Cg.jpg

zbOGxUD.jpg

RRgmFrh.jpg

QtrFFLX.jpg

Next post will show how I tackled the forward speed brakes

Right, here goes update # 1.

thinking I want the speed brakes down I first tackled the forward speed brakes to see what is what.  First observation: the holes in the speed brake do not line up with the framework of the resin body.

RLN0jRY.jpg

s4cs55O.jpg

Fisher would have you glue them in the centre of the PE, but that will cause the framework to obstruct the holes - and I cannot imagine that would be a desired aspect of the speedbrake.  So here is my solution - not a perfect copy of the real item, but good enough for my purpose.

UZirI23.jpg

zvnf3of.jpg

On the left is my first try, on the right the other speed brake.as seen from both sides.  First step was to sand the outward facing side such that the framework opened up.

eLgID9A.jpg

Once that was done the PE was rolled until it fitted the curve of the resin

XcMXGDZ.jpg

I also choose to hollow out the inward facing side so that some of the holes in the PE would not be blocked.

2weGdiF.jpg

Marking the holes with pencil.

RmnRjeD.jpg

Create an hollow with scalpel #11.

Forgot to take intermediate pictures of the process, but once the resin was glued in the correct position, the remaining missing frames were fabricated from plastic sheet.

PA0Ob2T.jpg

I will put these aside until I am ready to fabricate the operating mechanism.  But fo that I will need the cockpit and wing section glued to the hull.

That's all for now.  Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Due to several issues, including losing my mojo a bit, I am now capable of updating the build somwhat.

The cockpit slides into the fuselage.  As per instructions you do not want to glue in the seats before this is done as the cockpit will not go in.

j5cmieE.jpg

Unfotunately, there were some large gaps from underneath as well as from above.

ccJySqg.jpgRwpBef0.jpg

This one is seen looking backwards, with the wing-section attached

MRoSKY6.jpg

took some time headscratching how to deal with this.  This is where I lost my mojo somewhat.  However, inspiration struck, and I managed to sort out the gaps to my satisfaction.  Lots of test-fitting with the parts blue-tacked in place.

tppbRFG.jpg

DwWDq2V.jpg

A couple of thick strips placed strategically at the sides, as well as some thin ones at the bottom. Then file/sand - test-fit.  File some more, test-fit,....  You know the game ... leads to this - again all parts are blue-tacked into position.

O23ZV4U.jpg

aI9PWYv.jpgeflPzqS.jpg

The bottom is not ideal, but is good enough for now.  Final filling and clean-up will be done once the cockpit is glued in position.

Thanks for watching, and until next update (hopefully a bit sooner than last time).

L.H.

Edited by Landrotten Highlander
forgot to include 1 picture

It does look good! I normally like to apply some primer in those types of instances, as it really helps me identify where existing problems might lie. 

It's all about the "little wins" with a long term resin build. Gotta take the small accomplishments like getting massive gaps filled in a build in order to push through to fruition. 

Looking forward to more, as I feel your MoJo pain, especially so with all resin kits IMHO.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Can the moderaters move this to the WIP section?  Due to extra work studying for the University cobined with some minor mishaps on the build itself, I will not be able to concentrate on this build in the near future (at least until the exams in June).

Done! Hope to see you back at it soon.

Kev