Now for something completely different: Japanese seaside train layout in 1/150

Grant_T

Something a little different. I've been working on this for a couple of years and I've only just got up to the stage of buildings and fine details. It's a bit hard to explain it all, but it's all N Scale Japanese stuff that I bought on the occasions when my wife and I were in Japan. Everything has been modified/repainted. Scenery is plaster, static grass, etc. I'm looking forward to getting into doing the details soon.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Edited by Grant_T

I love it, always had a soft spot for railraod modelling. I'm still dreaming of building a small bridge / tunnel

section of rails somewhere in the Canadian Rockies showing just a CPR locomotive with two or three cars, nothing

more. You've made an excellent choice and executed it beautifully - hats off !!!

Lothar

43 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I love it, always had a soft spot for railraod modelling. I'm still dreaming of building a small bridge / tunnel

section of rails somewhere in the Canadian Rockies showing just a CPR locomotive with two or three cars, nothing

more. You've made an excellent choice and executed it beautifully - hats off !!!

Lothar

Thanks Lothar. Your countrymen produce some of the most amazing rail modelling. We visited a couple of years ago.

One more pic:

007.jpg

• 1 month later...

That is great! I love how the diorama morphs from almost a traditional Japanese style background to a very modern style at the front. The linking with the steps and path certainly leads the eye. Deceptive simplicity. Well done!

On 10/30/2020 at 9:04 AM, MikeA said:

That is great! I love how the diorama morphs from almost a traditional Japanese style background to a very modern style at the front.

Thanks, that was sort of my intention. I've travelled a bit through Japan on their amazing train network, and love the scenery. I wish I was a better painter though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great, I like the way the edge of the baseboard is like a slice through the ground painted black, that's how we do it with professional architectural models but to try and get hobbyists to do the same is like selling sand to the arabs! They invariably use some 'orrible picture frame round the edge of the base.

Graham

On 11/12/2020 at 6:05 AM, GrahamF said:

Looks great, I like the way the edge of the baseboard is like a slice through the ground painted black, that's how we do it with professional architectural models but to try and get hobbyists to do the same is like selling sand to the arabs! They invariably use some 'orrible picture frame round the edge of the base.

Graham

Agreed, the last thing you want to do is distract from the model itself.