Last roll of the dice

haveblue

3 hours ago, ChuckD said:

@haveblue Whatever kits you choose, I hope you land on your feet.  I know we don't know each other, but all of us here share a common camaraderie through a mutual love of the hobby.  So, I wish you the best in these difficult times.  

Indeed, and all things considered, I'd go for the Hs 129, and F-16.

16 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

I would leave the F-14 and F-4 alone, no matter how I felt about them.  And I feel strongly about each.  Both are dated.  The F-14A is about 40 years old, I believe.  The newest F-4(E early) is from 2002.  The earliest F-4(C/D) is from 1995.  To bring them 'up tp spec' and to match the others in detail fidelity you may pay as much in After Market accessories as you did the kit.

Wow didn't realise the F-14 and F-4 were quite that old!

16 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Considering "taking advantage of the situation" or opportunity, plus value of kit once back home;

F-16CJ - not only excellent kit, rarely found at low cost.

Skyraider if it includes weapons - again a benefit of being there.

As far as living in the US, both kits hold more value and not as readily available as other kits you listed.

You might also take a few photos of the stocked shelves if that is okay to do there - for comparison & memories.

I've actually wondered if I should buy a few extra kits to resell on ebay or something when I get back. For example I can buy the Hs129 kit for around $180, and that kit at home sells for around $270. As for having stuff on the shelf, especially re the ZM stuff it has been wonderful...everything is on the shelf, kits, all the brass ZM extras, ZM decals, ZM resin figures and even the reference books! I'm really going to miss having that luxury.

13 hours ago, ChuckD said:

@haveblue Whatever kits you choose, I hope you land on your feet.  I know we don't know each other, but all of us here share a common camaraderie through a mutual love of the hobby.  So, I wish you the best in these difficult times.  

Thanks Chuck, your thoughts are appreciated! :beer4:

LSP as a group have always been helpful, one of my first interactions here was buying an impossible to find decal sheet. A member here was willing to send it internationally to stranger...I still haven't seen that sheet anywhere since then, so I got very lucky on that one!

It's nice to be a part of a positive group :)

What part of Japan are you about to leave?  I worked in Singapore for four years and frequently was in Japan on business.  Osaka has a Volks store that is simply amazing to see.  The hobby shops in Japan are truly amazing.  

ZM kits.  Hard to find and you can always pick up a used Tamyia kits for good prices.  

Hoping you and ignite that career when when you get back home.  I have been in commercial aircraft leasing for the last 25 years and it’s such a same to see what is happening out there.  

Best out luck to you.

For me f-16 and hs129 no brainer. 

The zero can be easily had around these prices from amazon and luckynodel. 

That f-16 for 60$ ive never seen it that low apart from the second hand market

On a side note real sorry about your work disapearing. Hope air travel comes back soon and that you find something in the meantime to stay bussy

Edited by Neo

@Troy Molitor I'm about to leave Tokyo, thanks for the wishes....can't see any career being a pilot at home either. Almost all of my friends there are unemployed, or have been furloughed for years. There are going to be HUGE safety issues in aviation coming out the other side of this...but that's another discussion.

On 9/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, haveblue said:

I've actually wondered if I should buy a few extra kits to resell on ebay or something when I get back. For example I can buy the Hs129 kit for around $180, and that kit at home sells for around $270. As for having stuff on the shelf, especially re the ZM stuff it has been wonderful...everything is on the shelf, kits, all the brass ZM extras, ZM decals, ZM resin figures and even the reference books! I'm really going to miss having that luxury.

Have you looked at eBay prices lately, and is home for you the USA? Right now, a USA seller is offering the ZM Hs129 for $160 + about another $30 for shipping. Or is the $180 kit you're looking at there some special edition with extra stuff thrown in? (Also, sorry about your job situation and hope it and the move work out for you.)