Another Avenger soon to return to the air

The Grumman Avenger AS3 owned by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario performed engine tests and taxi runs on Saturday, September 12, after a long restoration. Everything went smoothly and they will be performing other checks while waiting for certification to fly.  She looks beautiful in Royal Canadian Navy colours, and they had the proper canopy fabricated.

Photos by Museum photographer Derek Mickeloff. 

Richard

7hbyDe1h.jpg

nzcj1brh.jpg

oTh27Iah.jpg

ix3INGTh.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

9 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

Anyone know what happened to the flyer we had in the UK? Last time I saw it was at West Malling about 1991 I think. In RAF markings.

Graham 

Im thinking it was probably TBM-3 BuNo 91110.

Operated as a fire service bird in the early 70s, then transported to the UK and repainted in RAF colors 88 - 92:

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=9838

Seen here at the 1988 RAF Mildenhall

0000077496.jpg

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, mkd1966 said:

Just curious if there's any new information on this beautiful Avenger returning to the air ?

Thanks, Mike

From what I understand she’s ready, just waiting for paperwork clearance. COVID has delayed a lot of admin work with the government. Hopefully this summer. 

9 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

From what I understand she’s ready, just waiting for paperwork clearance. COVID has delayed a lot of admin work with the government. Hopefully this summer. 

That's great to hear... Thank you very much for the update... Back in the early 80's - we lived in Detroit, MI and my Stepdad had a T-6 we flew to airshows around the area and occasionally the CWH would send their 1st Avenger flown by Don McNall (super nice fellow)...

Mike

Edited by mkd1966

This has triggered long forgotten memories!! Late 70's-early 80's i was in auto trade school. Campus had an aircraft maintenance course among others. They had aircraft and helicopters for hands on training (non airworthy) One of them was an Avenger. I remember going for lunch, occasionally they would start them up, including the Avenger, lots of smoke out of that one!! Didn't understand the significance of what was there, wonder where that plane went...

Don

• 1 month later...

Seems probable.  Kinda depends on how quickly they can get it out of the saltwater.  The pilot's ditching technique was absolutely perfect, so it's airframe damage will hopefully be minimal. Glad the pilot is safe.  Poor Grumman.  

There must be some sort of unwritten cosmic law dictating the maximum number of airworthy Avengers at any given time; bring one back to life, another one goes into the drink.  

Edited by ChuckD