bbCode: Don't Use It!

LSP_Kevin

Hey Jack, the forum codes do not work anymore I don't believe, so you will need to find the direct photo link, and the site will convert it automatically.\

I use SmugMug, but the principal of how the link works is the same. You would need the direct .jpg link (or whatever type of pic it is) as circled in red:

Direct%20link%20hosted%20pic_1-XL.png

55 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

I tried that method and all it did was convert my images to links - not images

I suspect that some folks are just pasting the link in and waiting for the magic to happen, but you usually have to hit the return/enter key to trigger the process. That said, if you just leave it, you should see a little pop-up strip asking you if you want to embed the image or leave it as a link. If neither of those things is happening, then there's likely an issue with the browser.

Now, there is another way to do this that has never failed me so far, as long as the image link is valid. When you're writing a post, click on the 'Other Media' drop-down menu at the bottom right of the post edit window, and then select 'Insert image from URL'. Paste your copied direct link into the resulting field that pops up, and click the 'Insert image' button. Voilà!

Kev

4 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

thanks Kev.

I tried hitting enter: result = link

Tried using insert image from URL: just went round and round and round = no image or was a red box

What browser are you using? Sounds suspiciously like a Microsoft product...

Kev

27 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Firefox 

Me too - what version? I have say that the last few updates to Firefox have been a bit of a mixed bag, and I've experienced a few issues as well. Nothing that clearing caches and a hard refresh shouldn't fix, though. can you paste one of your links in a reply here so I can take a look?

Kev

52 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Not sure which version but you can see the results in the non lsp post I put up earlier. I  must be doing something wrong but for the life of me, I  can't figure out what

I do use this option for sharing photos from Flickr:

Flickr share

However, I've just discovered you need to have it set as Public in Flickr.
Otherwise it gives you only the link to the photo.

Hope that helps.

Juraj

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I suspect that some folks are just pasting the link in and waiting for the magic to happen, but you usually have to hit the return/enter key to trigger the process. That said, if you just leave it, you should see a little pop-up strip asking you if you want to embed the image or leave it as a link. If neither of those things is happening, then there's likely an issue with the browser.

Now, there is another way to do this that has never failed me so far, as long as the image link is valid. When you're writing a post, click on the 'Other Media' drop-down menu at the bottom right of the post edit window, and then select 'Insert image from URL'. Paste your copied direct link into the resulting field that pops up, and click the 'Insert image' button. Voilà!

Kev

The other thing I do Kev is when I have managed to upload my image onto the host website (in my case, generally Imgur), I open the image to full size, right click and copy, then paste it directly into my LSP post/topic - seems to work for me.

Derek

On 9/17/2020 at 8:46 PM, The Madhatter said:

Not sure which version but you can see the results in the non lsp post I put up earlier. I  must be doing something wrong but for the life of me, I  can't figure out what

I think I've finally figured out this particular edge case now. It seems that you're copying a rich text URL from somewhere, which contains hyperlink formatting. The forum software sees this as a generic URL, rather than a link to an image, and so only gives you a URL, rather than an embedded image. Using the 'Insert image from URL' feature gets around this, but the secret to avoiding it in the first place is to make sure you only copy a plain text URL. The main way to tell the difference is that if the one you're copying already has an underline beneath it, then it's rich text, rather than plain text.

Kev