1/35 Ryefield Type 82e Staff Car-Completed

mustang1989

Windows are installed along with a lot of knick knacks on the body like tail lights , headlights, rearview mirror and little stuff like that. I was finally able to install the chassis into the body and mount up some tire/ wheel assemblies for it as well so she's on wheels now.
   The only real shortcoming I've found with this kit is in the windshield fit. Man......after all the good fortune I've had with it I found the Achilles heel in this model. The windshield.....good Lord the windshield. Make dang sure you test fit the heck out of it because you're going to have to sand the living daylights out of it to get it to fit right. I beat mine into shape but it was sure tough.

On wheels....

dH2544.jpg

x5gli6.jpg

On 10/16/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gazzas said:

It looks great, Joe!  Leather seats, or Vinyl?  Did they have vinyl in 1942?

Thanks Gaz! You know.....now that you mention it....I really don't know but I have to assume that they were probably leather.

10 hours ago, chrish said:

Pleather?

awesome job! I didn’t realize the monster truck ground clearance these things had. My 02 Dodge Ram looks about the same!

Thanks Chris! This has been a really relaxing and fun build so far. I didn't realize there were 4WD versions of these floating around out there till I got this model.

They were made of leatherette, which was basically artificial leather made from various materials and basically an early type of vinyl. The variety most common in Germany at the time was Presstoff .

This vehicle had a higher stance due to using the Kübelwagen chassis and not the standard Type 1 (Beetle, to you Luddites) chassis. This was partly to make room for the reduction gears on the rear wheels.

The 4wd version was designated the Type 87 Kommandeurswagen; it used the same drive train and engine as the Type 166 Schwimmwagen. Last I heard, there are only three of the 564 built left in the world, with VW having one in the museum, another in a museum somewhere else in Europe, and one in the hands of a private citizen (Sweden I think) who also owns a Kübelwagen and Schwimmwagen which he used as daily drivers for the longest time.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:13 PM, CATCplSlade said:

They were made of leatherette, which was basically artificial leather made from various materials and basically an early type of vinyl. The variety most common in Germany at the time was Presstoff .

This vehicle had a higher stance due to using the Kübelwagen chassis and not the standard Type 1 (Beetle, to you Luddites) chassis. This was partly to make room for the reduction gears on the rear wheels.

The 4wd version was designated the Type 87 Kommandeurswagen; it used the same drive train and engine as the Type 166 Schwimmwagen. Last I heard, there are only three of the 564 built left in the world, with VW having one in the museum, another in a museum somewhere else in Europe, and one in the hands of a private citizen (Sweden I think) who also owns a Kübelwagen and Schwimmwagen which he used as daily drivers for the longest time.

That's some great information. Thanks for that Slade!! 

On 10/19/2020 at 3:03 AM, Kagemusha said:

That looks great. Tempting... 

Thanks Kagemusha!! You should grab one of these because they are truly great kits. Just pay close attention to the windshield fit.

Late last year I saw a build review of this kit in Fine Scale Modeler. I've always been a fan of the older Beetles and have also wanted to build a model of one from WWII so needless to say I just had to have this kit. Soooo....my wife got it for me for Christmas. I've been waiting for a slot in which to build it so I finally got one here a month or so ago and I had a lot of fun building it. The only real problem that it has is in the windshield fit. There's alot of sanding that needs to happen with the glass itself if you want it to fit perfectly in the opening. I managed to get it to work for me but it wasn't without its struggles. I will say this however, you will not find a better Type 82 out there on the market that has this kind of detail along with ease of build. IMO this is the absolute best kit out there for this car.

I simply could not build this car and NOT put any aftermarket items or scratchbuilding into it so I started by adding spark plug wires and fuel lines to the engine, threw a German newspaper in the front seat from Fields of Glory and miscellaneous items like a helmet, map as well as the map bag, binoculars and a bread  pouch in the back of the passenger compartment along with a set of glasses laid on top of the newspaper in the front seat from the Mini Art German Equipment kit. I also added a first aid kit on the passenger compartment wall next to the rear seat. The exhaust tail pipe outlet was drilled out as well. 

I was originally going to go with Tamiya German Grey as the body color but decided it was just too dark for my liking so I went with, of all things, some Stynlrez grey primer for the body color. After a good coating of Stynlrez I weathered it with an airbrushed coating of Mig Dark Wash which seemed to darken it juuuuuust the right amount. Decals are OOB and after those were applied a very light coat of Model Master Acrylic Flat Clear was applied to the whole body.

Any how....here's the completed build:

K7jOx4.jpg

5RHRGA.jpg

HOLOA8.jpg

CjAHsQ.jpg

vA2aSO.jpg

Usej64.jpg

This.....I'm going to have to come back and touch up as I didn't see it until AFTER I took the photo. Simply unbelievable how we as modelers can overlook something so obvious when we're building. I'm really happy with the weathering on the bottom side of this car but failed to paint the inside of the fenderwells or weather any of the front of the bottom side. WOW!! 

tdsjl9.jpg

KK3yuJ.jpg

• mustang1989 changed the title to 1/35 Ryefield Type 82e Staff Car-Completed
20 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

How cool!

10 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Joe,

Once again, a brilliant job of auto modelling!  Your additions take what can be a boring Beetle and make it a great display piece.

Brilliant!!

Gaz

Thanks go out to both of you guys as well as everyone who "Liked" this car. Yeah a blank interior to me is just plain boring.....no matter what the subject.

Edited by mustang1989