A6M2 Model 11, Minoru Suzuki

Miloslav1956

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

OK I must ask what is the story behind the aft fuselage colour, I've just googled it but did not get an anwer.

Cheers

Dennis

Nobody knows. It's just my first Model 11.
There are theories about faded color outside of tarpaulin.
That wouldn't explain the exact interface in the middle of Hinomaru on the fuselage.
Also lighter color from below

15 hours ago, Miloslav1956 said:

Nobody knows. It's just my first Model 11.
There are theories about faded color outside of tarpaulin.
That wouldn't explain the exact interface in the middle of Hinomaru on the fuselage.
Also lighter color from below

Thanks for that it's jogged a memory in the old brain I remember reading an article about different degrees of paint fading due to the aircraft having tarpaulins draped over them, must find it again as I usually save such articles.

Cheers

Dennis

PS found one

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2008/05/two-tone-zeros-over-china.html

Edited by dennismcc

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Thanks for that it's jogged a memory in the old brain I remember reading an article about different degrees of paint fading due to the aircraft having tarpaulins draped over them, must find it again as I usually save such articles.

Cheers

Dennis

PS found one

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2008/05/two-tone-zeros-over-china.html

This theory has one crack. Why isn't Hinomaru faded too? Why are the vertical and horizontal surfaces equally faded? How come it faded down the hull?

1 hour ago, Miloslav1956 said:

This theory has one crack. Why isn't Hinomaru faded too? Why are the vertical and horizontal surfaces equally faded? How come it faded down the hull?

Yes and sadly we will probably never know but the photos do show the effect.

Cheers

Dennis

The tarp is a fact.  It only covers the fuselage to frame 7 and only part way out on each wing.  I don’t even think it went as far as the ammo bays on either side. So the wings will be faded as well outside of the area covered by the tarp.

Tomorrow, I will scan a couple photo from a book I have showing the fade pattern on the wings and another showing dekes with tarps on them.

Edited by Juggernut