Do we have any current or former fighter pilots here?

7 hours ago, davral64 said:

Help stamp out fixed wing!

4 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

whatever.

If I shot down a helicopter I’m not even sure I’d put a kill marking on my jet- it’s just too easy.. and not very sporting.

Cheers

P

Why shoot and waste munitions? I just flew past them in full burner they went and hid like a 2 year old under a blanket

7 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

whatever.

If I shot down a helicopter I’m not even sure I’d put a kill marking on my jet- it’s just too easy.. and not very sporting.

Cheers

P

You could have put a dot beside a rivet head or fastener, or 4 straight lines around one:D

You can teach a monkey to take off (for sure) and maybe land in a day but I’m pretty confident to say your not going to pick up hover and put a helicopter back down without killing yourself/instructor in a day.  

Finding a helicopter to to shoot at cracks me up.   You would need three different sources first of all to tell you where they  were located.  A tanker to add more fuel so you could go after them.  Finally permission from someone else to make sure you could shoot at them.    Permission again for what type of ammo to use.   Lol.  

I’ll give you the fact the L-39 is pretty cute.  My sisters kid has one.   I think it has a blue and pink unicorn painted on the side.   

All in good humor!   Don’t forget that gear selector next time!  

Kindest regards,

trexx.  

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

You can teach a monkey to take off (for sure) and maybe land in a day but I’m pretty confident to say your not going to pick up hover and put a helicopter back down without killing yourself/instructor in a day.  

Finding a helicopter to to shoot at cracks me up.   You would need three different sources first of all to tell you where they  were located.  A tanker to add more fuel so you could go after them.  Finally permission from someone else to make sure you could shoot at them.    Permission again for what type of ammo to use.   Lol.  

I’ll give you the fact the L-39 is pretty cute.  My sisters kid has one.   I think it has a blue and pink unicorn painted on the side.   

All in good humor!   Don’t forget that gear selector next time!  

Kindest regards,

trexx.  

Why so much hate? Did you want to be a fighter pilot but couldn’t find the right recruiters office? 

So no L-39 ride for you. Too much drag with you hanging off the tail.

as you say- all in good fun.

kindest regards 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Funny!

I’d call that a cheap shot actually, (See also “mean comment”) considering the actual reason for my gear up.. But whatever. It’s all in fun, right?

cheers

Pete

I thought the same thing but didn't post anything figuring you'd take care of it...and you did.

The rotary wing - fixed wing rivalry goes back to when Igor developed the first powered, heavier than air, controlled airplane and Orville and Wilbur invented the helicopter...  or do I have that backwards?  Oh yeah, Orville invented popcorn.  Anyhow, the vehicles have entirely different purposes not to mention that they fly differently.  Helicopters beat the air into submission.  Airplanes use hydraulics.  Neither can fly at night though, because as everyone knows, there`s no lift at night.   Another interesting difference is that fixed wing aircraft must keep up their airspeed lest they smite the ground.  Helicopters just enter vortex ring state and worm hole into another dimension.

Given all of the differences between them who wouldn't be confused.  I hope I've helped to clear up a few of common misconceptions between the branches of the air traveling family.  My work here is done.

When I was young, I was grooming myself to be a fighter pilot...then life happened (high school) and I screwed it all up.  Now the only combat jet I get to fly is a virtual one.  On the plus side, I don't risk my life or anyone else's and I'm type rated in the F-16, A-10C, F/A-18 and soon to be F-15E.

6diMdNS.png

5QUcmIN.png

FsrfqN8.png

MHYqNWD.png

5P5R6kt.png

This was a training lesson in DCS: F-16.  I have NO idea why they load Mk 84 pig iron on for a basic fam flight training mission in a block 50 Viper.  I was gonna push the emer jettison button but there might have been civilians down there and wouldn't want to ruin their days...even if the bombs didn't go of, they'd make a helluva crater.  I guess I could've flown out over the water and dumped them but hey, I just pushed the QUIT button.  :rofl:

Sorry Pete, they don't have the Green Mountain Boys skin, nor do they have The Boys From Syracuse (My local Air Guard Unit). I don't know about your unit but I don't think the Boys ever operated block 50's...I think the latest they used were block 30's but since I'm older now and have moved far away, I just don't know.  I'm stuck with Shaw, Misawa, Spangdahlem, and maybe a couple others.

Edited by Juggernut

5 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I flew air sims for a while, mostly WWII stuff, but quickly grew weary of getting killed all the time.

I flew MMOG WWII combat flight games (Air Warrior 4 Windows, Air Warrior II, Air Warrior 3, Aces High, Aces High II) but this DCS is freaking awesome.  Many of the jets have clickable cockpits that allow you to start from a cold, dark aircraft and most of the knobs/switches are functional.  The WWII fighters have functioning cowl flaps, and other things (like gun heat)...and if you forget to turn something on you need, it freezes at altitude or something else that depends upon that box, doesn't work correctly, if at all. 

There are some limitations to what you can carry (as far as ordnance is concerned...no nukes) but when you get online with a whole bunch of people that are flying on the same map performing varying missions against threats/targets, it gets very immersive, very fast.  There are humans flying as your adversaries (in Mig-21's, 29's, and Su-27's) and some of them are damn good...I turn into a smoking hole more often than not with some of these guys.  AWACS is functional as are all the CMDS, MWS, RWR, all the radios (we don't have to load or zero crypto keys though...thank God!).  Navigational aids work, as does in-flight refueling (which is a REAL PITA!...  I don't know how the real flyboys (and girls) get it done...and to do it at NIGHT; holy crapsticks!