Matchbox Tiger Moth

Alain Gadbois

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

I have  not been in a while to see whats going on..

Any more progress or are you researching your next step.

Anyway it does look great.

:popcorn:

Hi!

Thanks for the very nice video!

I haven't progressed much in all this time for many reasons...I decided to change the place where I do my modeling at home so had to move a lot of stuff around and then I broke my iPhone that I use for all the photos and this took a couple weeks to fix. To be honest, I also had a bit of a lack of enthusiasm at this point and worked on other other projects that I wanted to advance on (1/48 scale kits...don't tell anyone here).

With all the excitement about the new ICM kit and Max's great thread on comparing the current kits I have been drawn back into it and hopefully I will be posting more updates soon!

Regards,

Alain

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

Finally came back to the Tiger Moth, after being distracted by work, family and just glue together 1/48 kits that sit around the bench...

So here we have the basic mounts for the various controls in the cockpit...

xPHrRiy.jpg

For some reason, the forward polygon shape is inside the framework and the one in the back is behind it. The large white rectangular part represents a plywood reinforcement piece that supports the oil tank on the outside.

4AkuntW.jpg

The throttle controls are in place. Connecting rods in stretched sprue and the knobs are from HO scale oranges. Plenty cockpits I can detail with the bag I have!!!

TMcuJBe.jpg

Hopefully more today.

Alain

27 minutes ago, mozart said:

Well done Alain, coming along very well but I’m intrigued to know what an HO scale orange is?! :huh:

Thanks Max!

The little orange balls you see are sold as fruit miniatures for HO scale train layouts. You glue them on (somehow...) in your tree foliage and voilà, an orange tree!

Alain

On 2/23/2021 at 1:54 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific work, Alain! Keep the updates coming, as I need all the inspiration and motivation I can get to push on with mine.

Kev

Thanks Kev, and hope this helps a bit:

Added more bits to side cockpit sides, wires and most important the levers, 1 on right and 2 on left. The shape was scribed with a compass with two needle points. The 

R9n5BiQ.jpg

Left side.

YhpPvTr.jpg

Right side.

jpssUQF.jpg

The details will be still visible when the halves are assembled.

3MxaYtC.jpg

Next, front seat and instrument panels.

Bye for now,

Aalin

Thanks guys!

Here is one last bit for today, and I decided to add some details on the exterior as I was thinking of the best way to detail to luggage door on the right side behind the cockpit.

The basic shape of the latch was obtained by punching holes close together on a styrene sheet and then cutting two parts out that are rectangular with concave sides.

F2rrpff.jpg

TXpDptd.jpg

Here is the final result. The toggles are bits of wire with the lower end squished with pliers. Seems to do the job! 

The lower edge of the door has strips of sprue added. Also the attachments for the blind flying hood are in place plus the wooden strip on the fuselage side that protect the fabric. I managed to glue it on the wrong side of my pencil line, so when the glue smear is very dry, I will sand the defect out.

tF6wC4Y.jpg

Last update in the trainer group build!

Please move to work in progress.

Enjoying the Tiger Moth quite a bit these last few days and expecting more updates soon.

Bye for now!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois