Matchbox Tiger Moth

Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

Here is my entry for this group build!

7fAOudU.jpg

MLaCCmt.jpg

I bought this kit when I was around 20 years old, and had decided to improve it quite a bit at the time. Looking at the parts today, I had too much ambition for my abilities, trying to thin the engine cowls and wing trailing edges. I didn't have the tools or experience and had mixed results when using the materials I had on hand. I finally gave up after thinning all the trailing edges except the ailerons...

Now with much more reference material, on line references and other builds here on LSP,  I'd like to continue where I left off, and hopefully finish it!

Alain

17 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Cool! I used to have one of these in the stash, but got replaced with the Silver Wings versions.    Anxious to see some progress!

Thanks!

It's a sound kit, and the biggest job is to replace the front seat with the correct type (see Max's build).

Alain

16 hours ago, mozart said:

Good on you Alain, delighted to see one of these here. It’s not a bad kit at all but has lots of scope for improvement and correction. I look forward to seeing your progress. :D 

Thanks Max. Indeed, this is the GB for a Tiger Moth. Isn't it the iconic trainer for most of us (some might say the Stearman...)! I will concentrate on the cockpit and the obvious problems like the wing dihedral, plus a few details (yeah right!). Never rigged a biplane so this will be a start for that.

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Indeed it is! I'm most of the way through doing mine, and it's a complete PITA!

Kev

I'm following your lead, and thinking on how I will address this now. Funny thing, one part is missing in the kit and it is one of the seats, so I can't sneak out of this problem!

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

It's all about expectations Al. I've had one in the stash for many years too.

Have fun  :thumbsup::popcorn:

Thanks Mike!

When looking through a project set aside for so long, you are making a sort of  investigation in what you were thinking of doing with the kit at the time. I had attempted to redo the cowl parts with tooth paste tubing, which was METAL then so you can see it was a long time ago. Also I considered making the Canadian version, which has many more differences than the few alternative parts  the kit gives you. Pencil marks on the wings suggest cuts to replace sections and so remove leading edge slats. Frankly, that version looks clumsy with the large canopy and distracts from the elegance of the design so I will stick to the basic version.

May I add that this is the very first 1/32 scale kit I ever purchased (around 1980 or so). Kangaroo Hobbies in Montreal, which was one of the great hobby stores around then. 

Finally, here is the exact spot where I stopped. One small section scraped in the middle of the aileron!

I think I will start right there to make this right after all that time! 

IvRJNJg.jpg 

Thanks for watching!

18 hours ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

This is a lovely model Alain and does build up nicely  with a bit of extra work.  I look forward to seeing this progress too.

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, and here is a bit more today.

Thinning the trailing edges took less than 10 minutes, so nothing special even to photograph, but it does give finesse to the model and it is a must.

Turning to the cockpit area, some sink marks were present on the exterior and were sanded out.

WS3oFlI.jpg

Looking at the references in various books, I noticed the cockpit openings were too short. Notice the differences between both halves. The front opening extends all the way to the cabane struts, and the section between cockpits has become smaller.

swTD3wm.jpg?1 

I am redoing all the interior for the kit, removing the molded on details and using 0.75mm rod and 0.75mm square section styrene for the new structural sections.

gZxr1Rb.jpg

IrB8eQI.jpg

CNxZEAX.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain

Thanks Kev! Glad you have finished your front seat!

I've just started mine, cutting out a styrene rectangle that I have to trim to shape. I will sculpt the tub shape and crash form another styrene piece that will be glued to the rectangle part.

I finished the interior structures today, and will soon attach all the various bits that make a Tiger moth cockpit.

qBsYWbL.jpg

Bye for now!

Alain

Hi all!

I scratch built the center control box as correcting the kit part seemed to be even more work! It is still a bit rough looking, but at least it is a sound base to add the rear and front seat plus the pedals and control column. Photos of Tiger Moth restorations are a lot of help! Also a bulkhead has its rectangular opening cut into the kit part.

6tFbEiq.jpg

The bits taped in place:

KX1kXIi.jpg

Continuing to the front seat...

Alain