Tamiya 1/32 Bf-109G rumours and anything else

Jan_G

3 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

So to sum up Tamiya from 2000 has done a new 1/32 aircraft kit every 4-5 years on average and they won’t be doing a 109g ? 

Tamiya has been slowly issuing “new” scale 1/32 models since 1993, when they issued their F-15, their first 1/32 model since the F-14, which was issued in 1980. Their 1/32 models have always been issued at a slow rate. Same can be said about their 1/12 car models, 1/350 ship models or 1/16 tanks. Their big box models have always been well-distanced apart. Some “large box” ranges of models have an even slower “refresh rate” (or have been discontinued?). For example there has not been any “new tool” 1/12 Formula 1 car since their FW14 in 1993. There has not not been any “new tool” 1/350 Tamiya model ship since their Mogami in 2010. Models take many years to produce. Big models take even longer. 
Are they doing a 1/32 Bf 109? Only Tamiya knows.

Radu

Edited by Radub

On 9/19/2020 at 6:33 PM, Radub said:

A couple of years ago, I was in a pub in Telford with the usual gang that I travel to the show with and we were eventually joined by a few other modellers. One of them started talking about how he was "involved with the development such-and-such model". A couple of the guys I was with started to look at me, they knew that I did the CAD artwork for it. I had no idea who that guy was. It turns out  that at some early stage he supplied some books and drawings to the model company, that were indeed passed on to me, but that was all.

Rule of thumb: the bigger the brag, the smaller the involvement. 

The "guys in the room" are bound by NDA and they cannot speak. 

Radu

I’m wondering what’s to brag about? If you do a job your hired to do, then be happy within yourself that you accomplished the tasks required, but to brag about doing your job is something beyond my comprehension (ok, if your a rocket surgeon or the like, that’s brag worthy, but drawing up a CAD model isn’t, at least in my book)

Regarding the NDA’s, perhaps that was aimed at my posts, if not, sorry, if so I’ll just explain that I was just having a conversation with someone I’ve known for just shy of 40 years and I asked him how he filled his (retired) days while living in Japan with his (working) partner. He didn’t brag, just mentioned one part of his post retirement anti boredom activities. What he did brag about was catching tiny fish with a huge rod, apparently something reaching almost religious status in Japan.

RADU on Tamiya Big Box models.  I wholly agree with his comment.  I kind of think what Tamiya does is they have one or two big plastic model projects per year.  However it could be in any of several areas, a big car, a big plane, a big tank, a big motorcycle or a big ship.  I think last year they did a new 1/6 Honda Monkey Motorcycle.  It is just Tamiya’s thing.  

Now in my opinion, although I am not a Motorcycle enthusiast, the most important thing Tamiya does is their 1/12 and larger Motorcycles of which they have a new Honda out this year.  I consider these the most important because they require the most perfect engineering.  You can go back to their early motorcycle kits.  They are still uniformly amazing.  I believe it is what they learn from this engineering and design that makes their LSP subjects possible as we see them today.  

Edited by cbk57

11 minutes ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I’m wondering what’s to brag about? If you do a job your hired to do, then be happy within yourself that you accomplished the tasks required, but to brag about doing your job is something beyond my comprehension (ok, if your a rocket surgeon or the like, that’s brag worthy, but drawing up a CAD model isn’t, at least in my book)

You missed the point entirely. I was not bragging about my CAD work. Someone else was bragging to a group that I was part of saying that he was "involved" in a model that I designed, yet I had no idea who he was. That was all. My point was that there are a lot of people out there who claim all kinds of stuff, but it may be a case of "those who know do not speak and those who speak do not know."

Radu 

43 minutes ago, Radub said:

You missed the point entirely. I was not bragging about my CAD work. Someone else was bragging to a group that I was part of saying that he was "involved" in a model that I designed, yet I had no idea who he was. That was all. My point was that there are a lot of people out there who claim all kinds of stuff, but it may be a case of "those who know do not speak and those who speak do not know."

Radu 

No, I didn’t miss understand, I just (once again) failed to make my point clearly. I was referring to the guy who was doing the (dubious) bragging, not you, apologies for not making that clear

2 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

CBK, I agree about Tamiya 1/6 scale bikes, in fact after building their Africa Twin model I went out and bought the real thing :D

Wasn’t the Africa Twin another new big scale kit from A year or two ago also?  Tamiya in my opinion is quite prolific in high end large high detail kits they just do a lot of variety and our membership expects too much from them related to airplanes.  Like I said I am not into bikes but to me you don’t get Tamiya without the bike kits.  I believe they are foundational to the quality of the other kits they do.

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

Wasn’t the Africa Twin another new big scale kit from A year or two ago also?  Tamiya in my opinion is quite prolific in high end large high detail kits they just do a lot of variety and our membership expects too much from them related to airplanes.  Like I said I am not into bikes but to me you don’t get Tamiya without the bike kits.  I believe they are foundational to the quality of the other kits they do.

Yep, it was another of their masterpieces, but as for being prolific in that area... No, they release a new 1/6th scale bike once in a blue moon, in fact they probably release new 1/32 scale aircraft more often.

I wish they’d re-release all of their 1/12 Caterhams, I’d built 1 and I had 2 kits stashed away that where stolen by some miserable little house breaking scrote who probably sold them for pennies to the pound just to get 5 minutes of intravenous oblivion.

If praise of Tamiya Motorcycles, they require perfection, the frame, the engine, the suspension, wheels and fairings, they all have to fit around super precise tolerances and be perfect or the whole look of the thing falls apart.  There is no hiding by covering something up as even if the bike has fairings they almost never cover everything.  A successful bike kit has to have it all perfect fit, exceptional detail, accuracy in detail and correct shapes and it all has to integrate perfectly into a cohesive whole.  If anything does not lign up or fit it just won't go together right and the wheels will be pointing the wrong way.  So if a company can do a great motorcycle they can make anything in the scale modeling world and make it awesome.  

I am an unapologetic Tamiya junkie by the way.  I hope they release more LSP's but frankly as long as the keep doing plastic models I am happy.  You should see their new 1/24 Mustang GT-4.  I just build one and it is stunning.  It has at least 5 interrelated parts that have to come together absolutely perfectly for the kit to come out right.  The car has a partial front and rear under tray and any error in design or assembly and the front under tray in particular would not fit.  I was completely stunned at how many parts interconnected when i added this piece to my model.  

Here is what I am talking about I was just stunned at how all of these pieces came together.  In the last photo you can see how it all came together and sits perfectly flat wheels off.

IMG_0764 IMG_0765 IMG_0767

Edited by cbk57

46 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

What are all the blue stripes on the exhaust for?

Trying to simulate heating effects, by your comment I am afraid maybe I did not nail that effort.  Please don't think I take offense though.  You cannot even see the worst of my efforts on this car.  It went together beautifully but the finish is actually a complete disaster.  I am assuming these are Titanium or stainless pipes on the real car, although I have no idea what IMSA rules are in that regard.  My guess if legal to save weight they are thin wall titanium.

Edited by cbk57

5 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Trying to simulate heating effects, by your comment I am afraid maybe I did not nail that effort.  Please don't think I take offense though.  You cannot even see the worst of my efforts on this car.  It went together beautifully but the finish is actually a complete disaster.  I am assuming these are Titanium or stainless pipes on the real car, although I have no idea what IMSA rules are in that regard.  My guess if legal to save weight they are thin wall titanium.

I think you’ve done a fantastic job, I wish that I could come close to replicating your work, it looks great!:clap2: