Tamiya 1/32 Bf-109G rumours and anything else

Jan_G

On 9/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, fastterry said:

Ok here we go. Over on BM in the rumormonger section a member (and fellow Aussie) said that he was having a few beers with an engineer that did work for the big T before Covid hit. He said he was working on (CAD) a WW2 twin engined aircraft used in the Pacific. He did also say that a lot of CAD work is done on subjects that never see daylight. If what he was working on does make it into plastic it can really only be a P-38 as T must have lots of data that they used to make the 1/48 P-38s. You heard it here first unless it's all a hoax in which case this post will self destruct.

TRF

'only be a P-38' ....   Maybe a P-38,  but would not a Beaufighter fit the description?   That would be my preference anyway.

Personnally I'd rather wait for the Tamiya kit if it ever comes out. ZM kits are simply not my thing. The G6 version isn't that complicated to approach when you know a couple of details on how the production went.

The Tamiya 1:48 kit only has one easily correctable mistake which was a 'oops' from their cad designer. Their 1:32 kit will be spectacular

Edited by Vincent

5 hours ago, Vincent said:

Personnally I'd rather wait for the Tamiya kit if it ever comes out. ZM kits are simply not my thing. The G6 version isn't that complicated to approach when you know a couple of details on how the production went.

The Tamiya 1:48 kit only has one easily correctable mistake which was a 'oops' from their cad designer. Their 1:32 kit will be spectacular

The problem with waiting on Tamiya is it may never come.  There is no guarantee they are going to release anything in the next year or two or more and it could be one of many 1/32 subjects as has been discussed to exhaustion.  It might even be longer than a year or two.  So if ZM does a 109G, it is likely to get my attention.  I personally have never built a 109G in 1/32 so if a really good one comes along I won’t turn it down.  I don:t love the Hasegawa kits personally as i did buy their f model and it is more like a big 1/48 kit.  For the size it is not a great kit although it is roughly the right shape and looks like a 109f

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

The problem with waiting on Tamiya is it may never come.  There is no guarantee they are going to release anything in the next year or two or more and it could be one of many 1/32 subjects as has been discussed to exhaustion.  It might even be longer than a year or two.  So if ZM does a 109G, it is likely to get my attention.  I personally have never built a 109G in 1/32 so if a really good one comes along I won’t turn it down.  I don:t love the Hasegawa kits personally as i did buy their f model and it is more like a big 1/48 kit.  For the size it is not a great kit although it is roughly the right shape and looks like a 109f

Bah, i can wait. I just don't see the point to lose my nerves on a over engineered kit that will not look as good as the Hasegawa kit once completed

Your opiniom Vincent. 

While ZM kits are quite a bit different from any other 1/32 releases, and to some, over-engineered, they are accurate in terms of shape and geometry. They may not be to your taste, but you are off base stating they will not be as accurate as a Hasegawa kit. You simply cannot back that statement up with other than conjecture.

I do want to see Tamiya release an iconic German WWII fighter. 109 or 190 is debatable, to me the 109 gets the nod. If ZM is working on one, I want to see it. You betcha guys will be going over it with a fine tooth comb. IF Tamiya does one as well, then we, the modelers win either way.

14 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

i have confidence ZM will get it right if Radu is involved

but if the 'over engineered' thing is not your bag, then yes stick with Hassy until Mr T comes along 

Over engineered is OK when done by Tamiya for example but I watched carefully Thunnus build of the ZM TA-152 and boy...

I can live without pistons in an otherwise simplified plastic engine  ;)

Tamiya will come out with a 1/32 Me 109G6. The only thing they did not tell us is when

20 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

but you are off base stating they will not be as accurate as a Hasegawa kit. You simply cannot back that statement up with other than conjecture

Funny...

Where did you read me making that comment ?

It is unfair to look at the earliest ZM kits and use them as the yardstick for their latest models. In fact, if one was to say “I would not buy any potential 1/32 Tamiya Bf 109 because I looked at their 1/32 Tomcat and I was not impressed” they would only manage to come across as anything other than “clever” or “informed”. Even Hasegawa’s first 1/32 models cannot be compared to their latest product. The ZM models have improved in massive leaps and bounds over the years. I can also tell you that over the years they changed their designers and mould manufacturers a few times, in a continuous search for a better product. There is a steady and noticeable upward trend in the quality of ZM models. So, to summarise, there  is no comparison between the Ta 152 and their latest models. I can promise you that the ZM Bf 109 shares nothing (research team, design team, tooling workshop) with their Ta 152.

Radu

21 minutes ago, Radub said:

It is unfair to look at the earliest ZM kits and use them as the yardstick for their latest models. In fact, if one was to say “I would not buy any potential 1/32 Tamiya Bf 109 because I looked at their 1/32 Tomcat and I was not impressed” they would only manage to come across as anything other than “clever” or “informed”. Even Hasegawa’s first 1/32 models cannot be compared to their latest product. The ZM models have improved in massive leaps and bounds over the years. I can also tell you that over the years they changed their designers and mould manufacturers a few times, in a continuous search for a better product. There is a steady and noticeable upward trend in the quality of ZM models. So, to summarise, there  is no comparison between the Ta 152 and their latest models. I can promise you that the ZM Bf 109 shares nothing (research team, design team, tooling workshop) with their Ta 152.

Radu

Having the new ZM Ki-45 on my bench atm, and having built some earlier ZM kits, I wholeheartedly agree with you Radu.  The ZM Ki-45 is one of the more complex kits Ive worked on, but ironically, also one of the best fitting kits too.   Everything just "clicks" into place, and a lot of the assemblies can be press fit together to see how things look without any glue.   

Id say if the new ZM 109 fits anything like their Ki-45, they will have a definite winner on their hands.  If ZM keeps going this way, I will have NO issue buying ZM kits of airframes I like in the future.

I’d buy one....dozen

I built the Ta 152 more that 10 years ago, when it was a new release. I loved it. Other than the fit of the engine mounts to the firewall (which I realized from test fits it could be trouble) it was, I thought, a great kit. I don’t remember using filler or putty on it anywhere.

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Much the same can be said of most companies that produce consumer products.  A 1977 Ford is a vastly different product than a 2021 Ford.  2020 fündekals are vastly different products than the Bare Metal decals I did artwork for in 1991 (by hand, using drafting pens and rubylith film!).

Sure, but some improved more than others.