Tamiya 1/32 Bf-109G rumours and anything else

Jan_G

12 hours ago, chrish said:

I’d buy one....dozen

I built the Ta 152 more that 10 years ago, when it was a new release. I loved it. Other than the fit of the engine mounts to the firewall (which I realized from test fits it could be trouble) it was, I thought, a great kit. I don’t remember using filler or putty on it anywhere.

I completely agree. The Ta 152 is a beautiful model. My point about comparing "early" to "latest" models must take into consideration that ZM started "strong" and their "early" models are still light years ahead of others. 

Is there someone out there who is less than impressed? Very possible. There are also plenty of people happy with it. 

Radu

On 9/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, fastterry said:

Ok here we go. Over on BM in the rumormonger section a member (and fellow Aussie) said that he was having a few beers with an engineer that did work for the big T before Covid hit. He said he was working on (CAD) a WW2 twin engined aircraft used in the Pacific. He did also say that a lot of CAD work is done on subjects that never see daylight. If what he was working on does make it into plastic it can really only be a P-38 as T must have lots of data that they used to make the 1/48 P-38s. You heard it here first unless it's all a hoax in which case this post will self destruct.

TRF

Yep, that was my post.

I didn’t make my point very well due to a number of self inflicted reasons, but the crux was that from what I was told Tamiya have numerous projects researched that may or may not see the light of day, so even if the CAD images of the 109 where from the bowels of the big T’s system, they’re not necessarily going to progress from drawings to tooling.

Sorry for any confusion.

On 9/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Don't believe it.  If he really was working for Tamiya and blabbed like that, he wouldn't be working for them any longer.

Believe what you may, that’s your prerogative, but (a) He was a contractor, not an employee (b) he is no longer under contract and (c) he wasn’t giving out vital company information, just mentioning that he was contracted to turn paper plans into digital drawings.

Whatever, believe what you wish, your opinion is yours, and your free to express it.

it’s not a leak, just an insight into what one retired aeronautical engineer was approached to do, and did for a short term to alleviate his boredom. 

If you read my post on Britmodeller,  it (therefore He nor I) ever stated that x airframe would be the big T’s next Uber 1/32 model. Whilst I could have been clearer, the gist was that many subjects are researched and maybe some preliminary sketches may escape the confines of a model manufacturers servers, but that doesn’t mean they will ever be more than just a digital dream. I’m sure that with your 30 year experience you’ve seen a lot of research done that’s never come to fruition?

If I’d been trying to gain notoriety or create a stir I would have stated that the next 1/32 kit from Tamiya was a CA-15, a Beaufighter or a Pilatus PC 6, not that a mates younger brother cad modelled a few airframes that will more than likely never become more than a block of data on an archived drive.

1 hour ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Whatever, believe what you wish, your opinion is yours, and your free to express it.

it’s not a leak, just an insight into what one retired aeronautical engineer was approached to do, and did for a short term to alleviate his boredom. 

If you read my post on Britmodeller,  it (therefore He nor I) ever stated that x airframe would be the big T’s next Uber 1/32 model. Whilst I could have been clearer, the gist was that many subjects are researched and maybe some preliminary sketches may escape the confines of a model manufacturers servers, but that doesn’t mean they will ever be more than just a digital dream. I’m sure that with your 30 year experience you’ve seen a lot of research done that’s never come to fruition?

If I’d been trying to gain notoriety or create a stir I would have stated that the next 1/32 kit from Tamiya was a CA-15, a Beaufighter or a Pilatus PC 6, not that a mates younger brother cad modelled a few airframes that will more than likely never become more than a block of data on an archived drive.

Good of you to clear up some misunderstanding 

A couple of years ago, I was in a pub in Telford with the usual gang that I travel to the show with and we were eventually joined by a few other modellers. One of them started talking about how he was "involved with the development such-and-such model". A couple of the guys I was with started to look at me, they knew that I did the CAD artwork for it. I had no idea who that guy was. It turns out  that at some early stage he supplied some books and drawings to the model company, that were indeed passed on to me, but that was all.

Rule of thumb: the bigger the brag, the smaller the involvement. 

The "guys in the room" are bound by NDA and they cannot speak. 

Radu

On 9/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I'd dump the Revell and Trumpeter Corsair kits, and snatch the Tamiya kit; it's outstanding in every way imaginable.

I am currently going through tin after tin of aftermarket bits. I vaguely remembered buying the Lonestar resin updates for the Revell Corsair. Sure enough, I do have them. I will however make a serious attempt at cleaning out the stash when I finally retire early next year. I figure on hitting the local hobby shows and grabbing a table.

4 hours ago, Ali62 said:

I think this thread be stopped and totally new ones made as this is NO LONGER about a Tamiya 109 G-6...........

well that is just my thoughts:)

If the mods shut every thread that wandered OT there'd be precious little on here to respond to, and virtually no threads longer than 4, no make that 2, pages. ;)

Actually I learned a lot that was interesting about how most kit makers do spec work, so I didn't mind a bit. 

1 hour ago, Basta said:

If the mods shut every thread that wandered OT there'd be precious little on here to respond to, and virtually no threads longer than 4, no make that 2, pages. ;)

Actually I learned a lot that was interesting about how most kit makers do spec work, so I didn't mind a bit. 

This.    Never understood why certain folks clamor to have mods lock up a thread because “they” have determined it’s wandered too far OT.    How about instead of speaking for the masses they do what I do when a thread is no longer interesting and/or useful - simply ignore it.