Spitfire Mk VIII, 54 Sqn RAF, 1945

MikeC

I was building a Tamiya Mk VIII, and decided I wanted to do a "Churchill Wing" aircraft from 54 Sqn RAF.  This was interesting and ticks my "unusual subject" box because it's RAF, despite having Australian markings and an "A58-" serial number, A58-360 (it was originally allocated JG376).  It was also in an unusual camouflage: some Mk VIIIs delivered in the Ocean grey/Dark Green scheme had the grey areas overpainted with RAAF Foliage Green to produce a very low contrast finish.  I managed to persuade a friend from my IPMS branch to cut some masks for me - thanks JD - and here's the result.  The basic kit was enhanced with various Barracuda bits, including wheels, rocker covers with "RR" logo, and some cockpit parts, and I also used a Yahu instrument panel.

The masks (made from Oramask I believe) worked very well, even the rather small serial.

I've never liked large decals, and I'm now rather hooked on masks, despite rather enjoying the process of decalling.

To start with, a pic of the subject.

VIII-A58-360-54-Sqn.jpg

(If this infringes your copyright, please advise and I'll remove it)

IMG-6335.jpg

IMG-6336.jpg

IMG-6339.jpg

IMG-6345.jpg

IMG-6348.jpg

IMG-6351.jpg

20200819-162101.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

21 minutes ago, mozart said:

Are the yellow spinner and white wing leading edges your interpretation or do you have other refs?

Thanks for the kind words Max.

The white leading edges were a recognition marking in this theatre, and whilst I don't have photos of this aircraft from the front, I do of others from the wing. 

So I'm >50% certain.

The yellow spinner is, I confess, a guess.  I was working here from a profile which showed it; I'd already decided that the profile was suspect, as it showed DL-R as A58-500, which was in fact QY-D of 452 Sqn.  But I thought it was at least possible, perhaps denoting the flight within the squadron, and added a splash of colour to the model.  So let's call it artistic licence, even if some might say I deserve 3 points on mine for that. :)

My principal refs:  http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a58.htm

The Churchill Wing, Aeroplane, March 2018
Model Aircraft Monthly, January 2006
Edited by MikeC

• 2 months later...