Rubber tires on plastic wheels

I was priming some small parts today for my Phantom build including the wheels. As I got to the wheels a thought popped up that I read somewhere that there is some incompatibility with either the plastic or the type of paint and the rubber of the tires. What should I watch for?

15 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I was priming some small parts today for my Phantom build including the wheels. As I got to the wheels a thought popped up that I read somewhere that there is some incompatibility with either the plastic or the type of paint and the rubber of the tires. What should I watch for?

I built my Tamiya 1/32 phantom in the 90’s, I’ve not noticed any problem with incompatibility yet.

however the Academy F/A 18 with (optional) “rubber” tires sticks like glue to my display case shelf to the point I almost tear the gear off lifting it...different model makers use different material apparently 

Just FYI.  There is a new company making resin type /rubber wheels that I would not recommend.  These tire/ wheel combinations seem to come out not too long ago.  Either the resin hubs had slight shrinkage or the resin/rubber like tires are too big after removing the inner molding channels.  The amount of time/ energy and outcome do not justify the amount of wasted time I spent on these "new" aftermarket tires.   Dissapointed to say the least.   

On 9/10/2020 at 5:13 PM, nmayhew said:

Please name the company you are talking about

20 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Yep, I would be very keen to know which company it is, too. 

How many aftermarket companies make wheels with rubber tires?

D

On 9/10/2020 at 5:01 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Just FYI.  There is a new company making resin type /rubber wheels that I would not recommend.  These tire/ wheel combinations seem to come out not too long ago.  Either the resin hubs had slight shrinkage or the resin/rubber like tires are too big after removing the inner molding channels.  The amount of time/ energy and outcome do not justify the amount of wasted time I spent on these "new" aftermarket tires.   Dissapointed to say the least.   

It isn’t Halberd, is it?

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2217

I'm no expert on WW2 German aircraft tyres, but were they made by Dunlop? If this has been copied from the NASM example of the Do-335, it would suggest to me that the tyres have been produced in the US and later fitted to the airframe. 

I'm sure more knowledgeable folk than me can shine some light on this subject.

Chris. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.
As I understand it, we are talking about our sets of Halberd Models.
Let me answer all the questions in order.
First, Dunlop tires were massively installed on German aircraft during World War II, apparently there is the same story as with Ford cars that were massively in service with the Wehrmacht.
Second clearance between tire and rim on Do-335 set.
That's quite possible.
 We were faced with this situation, several modelers wrote that the disc and tire do not sit under tightness.
The reason only applies to some of the first sets, since they had a minimum tension when designing, in all new sets this problem was not observed.
The reason is that today the company Axsson whose materials we used have been taken over by Sika and it has changed the characteristics of the resin that we used, this material after casting gives a large shrinkage of parts.
To date, the material has been replaced and this problem does not exist.
We are always open to dialogue and communication.
Some modelers contacted us with their problem that after processing they damaged parts or tires, we always went to meet them and changed the damaged parts free of charge.
If you have any problems, please write to us, we will be happy to help you.
Best regards from Ukraine, Andrey.

https://www.shutterstock.com/ru/image-photo/junkers-ju88-airplane-wreck-world-war-60761284