F-86 Sabre in Korea (SAAF)

Madmax

That's amazing work!   If you don't mind, I've saved this picture to my hard drive in the event that I need reference material for the 32nd Tamiya F-86 that's sure to be released as soon as you finish your build.

209217133_10159318848134803_885707472162

It's notable for a few reasons.  First - it confirms that the depot that painted on the ID stripes then took the time to reapply the servicing stencils (I always figured they skipped that step), it also shows how scratched up those markings get and lastly, it shows how a NMF finish weathers in a harsh climate like Korea.   That's something I've always struggled with trying to replicate.

Following your work closely, just a fantastic build so far! 

Hi Nick, Matt, Ivan, Craig, Kev, Jaro, Mike and John - Thanks very much for all the kind words!

On 10/3/2021 at 4:47 PM, John1 said:

It's notable for a few reasons.  First - it confirms that the depot that painted on the ID stripes then took the time to reapply the servicing stencils (I always figured they skipped that step), it also shows how scratched up those markings get and lastly, it shows how a NMF finish weathers in a harsh climate like Korea.   That's something I've always struggled with trying to replicate.

I have enjoyed the research on your builds John, and this confirms why - an eye for detail!

It is interesting that the stencilling went back on in this case (especially since the narrow bands were apparently applied at depot level in Japan, or at unit level). The Mustangs appear to lose many stencils once they got a coat of silver paint over the NMF. By the way, there are many more Korea Photo's available on the Barracuda Studios Ready Room Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/848474938507986/ 

The masking war continues!

I decided to get the roundels in place before painting any silver, since they require a lot of handling of the model to position properly. A white base-coat was laid down first.

IMG_4504-X2.jpg

Then the blue outer ring is sprayed on. Note that this blue is technically BS 108 (Aircraft Blue), and often depicted too dark - more like US Insignia Blue. Looking at the photo, I think my version is a little too dark, but that's how it stays...:rolleyes:

IMG_4510-X2.jpg

Now for the fun part - the springbok! (Remember the rugby team?)

This distinctive little antelope is often butchered by decal manufacturers, and I wondered how to go about getting this right in 1:32 scale. Then I saw that Nick cut a mask for his 1:72 scale Vampire :o, and the answer was staring me in the face! The trick is to get the proportions correct, and to that end I did a drawing of the 'bokkie' based on a couple of photographs from Korea. Here is the graceful ungulate, as near as dammit:

IMG_20210814_0001-X2.jpg

Nick (Cheetah11), patient as ever, plotted the drawing into his Silhouette cutter, and here is the mask he cut for me. The beauty is that he sorts out all the measurements, and I have learned not to question the final fraction of a millimetre he says it must be. Thanks Nick!

IMG_4515-X2.jpg

The first ones were sprayed 'as is' onto the lower wing roundels.

IMG_4519-X2.jpg

I tweaked the mask a little bit for the upper 'bokkies' hind quarters. I'll refine the drawing when I finally get around to building the Mustang.

IMG_4522-X2.jpg

Here is a comparison of the mask with the only decal option available in 1:32 scale (that I know of). Look at how precise Nick's measurements actually are! 

IMG_4524-X2.jpg

In the meantime, some tricky side issues are finally getting done. The canopy has to be glued to the frame, and it needed a lot of sanding and polishing to get the joint as seamless as possible. The internal frame had to be painted and detailed before this could be done.

IMG_4525-X2.jpg

Luigi's helmet looked a bit bland, so I gave him a 2 Squadron badge (from an old 1:48th decal set). 

IMG_4528-X2.jpg

Next instalment: "Does this reverse order painting thing work for Alclad finishes?"

Till then... Cheers!

Sean

Thanks Rainer, Alex and Craig - I can't wait to see the Alclad go on too! There is always something of a mystery that awaits with that paint - it's like painting with vapours that shine. :huh:

On 10/12/2021 at 3:13 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

I did that CE decal art about ten lifetimes ago.  

I have a dim memory of having gone back and forth with Klaus about the width of the yellow, and whether the quoted width included the yellow, or the overall width including the black.  No idea why or how it came out as it did.

Hi Jennings, I think it was easily misunderstood. The use of the term yellow bands, and then quoting the width in inches of the entire band (including the black borders), is bound to cause confusion. The stencils look fantastic, and I look forward to using them.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:08 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent work, Sean! Would love to see those roundel cut files uploaded to Scale Model Paint Masks!

Kev

Thanks Kev, Nick and I will tweak the mask slightly, and them I'm sure we can convince him to upload the files... 

• 1 month later...

Yes I know, it's been a while. 

I forgot to show you the detail inside Luigi's helmet last time. I hope to perch this on the windscreen frame, like one sees in so many Korea photo's.

IMG_4540-X2.jpg

IMG_4180-X2.jpg

Nick's fantastic masks have put in another appearance. This is the tail number, reverse masked over the black painted background. In case you were wondering, I taped the whole mask to keep it together, and once in place, carefully peeled away the outsides to reveal only the numbers. It took more than one attempt!

IMG_4544-X2.jpg

This is a very "mask heavy" way of painting, but I don't know how else to get around working with Alclad and Tamiya tape. I sprayed some more grey primer over the numbers in order to cover the black background (it would show up under the Alclad). The first layer I spray on is "White Aluminium", which I find to be surprisingly tough compared to the rest of the shiny paints in the range. It can be masked if allowed to dry for a day or so, and it works nearly as well as a gloss black base for the highly reflective paints.

IMG_4546-X2.jpg

The next layer is "Airframe Aluminium".  It has just the right amount of reflectivity under a coat of gloss varnish to still look like metal.

IMG_4547-X2.jpg

IMG_4549-X2.jpg

I subsequently painted some panels with "Polished Aluminium", to show the contrast one sees on the real thing. Unfortunately the photographs of this were lost in a poorly handled hard-drive crash. My own fault. :wacko: In the meantime, I gloss coated the entire model with Tamiya X-22 and levelling thinners at about a 50/50 mix ratio. Then it was time to get into the plethora of stencils that adorn the F-86. As nice as the CE decals are, there is a fairly big snag with the instructions - I can't tell where most of them are supposed to go!

IMG_4584-X2.jpg

The instruction sheet is so pixellated, that it requires some serious work to decipher. I eventually resorted to cross-referencing with the decals that came with the Italeri (Kinetic) kit. I also scoured through my various reference photographs and made notes of what goes where...

IMG_4586-X2.jpg

It is actually quite nice to do it this way. Now I know which system hides behind each and every panel that I re-scribed! :hmmm:

See you next month,

Sean