F-86 Sabre in Korea (SAAF)

Madmax

On 9/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Frightfully sorry about the omission old chap.

I never imagined that badge was still a source of nightmares after all the years. But then again......

Very funny Nick!  :rolleyes: Thanks for putting on your 2 Squadron Blazer, the old boys would have appreciated it...

Cool photo JolleyRoger!

Thanks for keeping Nick on the straight and narrow Alain.

8 hours ago, Mistral said:

C'mon Sean. This is not a challenge. A challenge would be to build the Kinetic one OOB and live happily with it afterwards in your display cabinet :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the journey...:bow:

I'm afraid to have to admit, you are absolutely correct Malcolm! Did you study psychology? :lol:

Sinuhe, glad to see you here. Yours is THE profile pic for this build - welcome anytime...

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, JolleyRoger said:

How's the riveting coming along Madmax?

Hi JolleyRoger, I'm afraid the riveting is progressing rather slowly. I haven't stopped totally however, and can at least show you some work on the airbrakes...

Theses are the Aires replacements for the Kinetic kit, which unsurprisingly don't fit the Hasegawa fuselage.

IMG_3919-X2.jpg

So, I chopped out the kit bay and set to correcting it with styrene. The Sabres airbrakes are mounted at quite an angle which neither kit replicates. You can see how I have cut the openings at an angle to achieve this limp-eared look when they are extended. Lining the sides of the bay creates the lip for the airbrake opening that is otherwise missing, and would result in the brake disappearing into the bay when closing, and crushing the plumbing! :lol:

IMG_3920-X2.jpg

Now I was able to do some of this very plumbing on a nice clean styrene canvas.

IMG_3929-X2.jpg

Using bits from the original kit airbrakes, some Eduard brass and the Aires actuators I now have brakes that look a little more like they should.

IMG_3935-X2.jpg

The hydraulic jack is attached to a substantial mounting on the back wall of the bay, and plumbed with pretty thick hoses.

IMG_3940-X2.jpg

You might be able to make out the angle of the airbrake in this view.

IMG_3942-X2.jpg

And here it is as a complete unit. You may also have noticed some rivets for the vertical lines of the fuselage formers. There are still many more required, not to mention the confusing latticework of the horizontal stringers and other structures that make up the Sabre's unique skin. Lots of fun to be had! 

IMG_3947-X2.jpg

Hopefully the next update won't take another two months. :rolleyes:

Sean

16 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi

great job indeed , I like , I always like the care you bring to details :thumbsup:

I don't know , if it's worth to be mentioned , but for people interested , Harold from AMS did a corrected nose and gun panels for the Italieri / Kinetic kit  

Alain

He also did a full cockpit set and some drop tanks. Most of his stuff at Sproobros is out of stock

but as has been said he 'may' be able to restock if asked. He's on FB under Harold Nonya also hairold@frontier.com

Looking good Sean :clap2:

Thanks Alan and Alain.

Nick, I suppose it doesn't really matter what blazer pocket you put on. One Squadron did eventually fly Sabres after the Korean War, in what was then a new war - the One Squadron / Two Squadron War! :lol:

Very kind Kevin, you certainly keep tabs on all that goes on around here. Thanks Mike, I took a look at the AMS aftermarket bits, and must say that if one should choose to build the Kinetic kit, they would be a "must have".

Good of you to look in Alex, now back to rivet wheel for me...

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That is truly amazing work!   Sigh... someday some model kit manufacturer is going to go out and actually *look* at the airbrakes on a real Sabre before they design their kit.  Not a single one has ever gotten it right.

Just trying to imagine a new Tamiya 1/32 Sabre.  The stuff of my dreams.

Hi Jennings,

I have been enlightened on the differences between the various Sabre wings and fuselages thanks to your drawings. Much appreciated.

In return I thought you might like a little glimpse into an imagined future... :whistle:

IMG_3979-X2.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:,

Sean

10 minutes ago, Madmax said:

In return I thought you might like a little glimpse into an imagined future... :whistle:

you nearly got me there, you SOB.  Making me think Tamiya would bring out this bird in 1/32 :BANGHEAD2:

You deserve a flogging with freshly cooked spaghetti.

Edited by Landrotten Highlander

• 2 months later...

This really is taking a while!

The airbrake on the other side is finally done. :rolleyes:

IMG_4026-X2.jpg

Since the joining of fuselage halves is now imminent, I need to get the cockpit/intake/nose-wheel well in place. The intake is positioned according to the fit of the wheel well to the fuselage floor, and so that was my next point of focus.

Having elected to use the old Hasegawa kit as the basis for 90% of the build, I had to assess how to correct the entire nose gear. Their nose-wheel leg (on the right) is a bit flimsy compared to the chunky Kinetic offering. Neither really capture the feel of the Sabre's distinctive nose-wheel assembly.

IMG_3988-X2.jpg

Notice just how shallow the Kinetic wheel well is - probably due the thickness of their plastic mouldings. This made their gear leg a tad short, but I still prefer to use it as its thickness and basic components are better than the Hasegawa ones.

IMG_4023-X2.jpg

After a whole lot of modifications, this is how the upper nose-wheel leg looks.

IMG_4017-X2.jpg

A major part that I feel has to be represented is the complex casting of the hydraulic actuator that (I think) rotates the lower leg through 90 degrees during retraction - in order to get the nose wheel into the bay in a horizontal state.

IMG_4018-X2.jpg

The lower half of the leg is also not well represented in plastic, so some 2mm brass rod bent to shape will hopefully do the trick.

IMG_3999-X2.jpg

A bit of 1mm piano wire should strengthen the joints sufficiently to use superglue instead of soldering.

IMG_4021-X2.jpg

IMG_4024-X2.jpg

The well itself was as basic as the Kinetic part. I separated the floor from the sides, and added some styrene sheet which was then sanded to look like the bottom of the air intake. I then proceeded to add a lot of stuff, and although not perfectly to scale, captures the feel of what I think happens down there.  

IMG_4011-X2.jpg

Of interest to the Tamiya engineers may be that the nose-wheel doesn't seem to be centred in the well. From what I have been able to surmise by reverse-engineering the components, it is offset to starboard when viewed from the cockpit. Maybe a Sabre boffin can explain this (if it is correct)?

IMG_4012-X2.jpg

And finally, a look at the retraction/extension arm. Neither kit manufacturers appear to have looked at the real part, or even a photograph of it! Hopefully this attempt will look right when I finally get the whole lot assembled...

IMG_4007-X2.jpg

See you in a couple of months!

Cheers,

Sean

On 11/23/2020 at 5:32 AM, Madmax said:

Nick, I suppose it doesn't really matter what blazer pocket you put on. One Squadron did eventually fly Sabres after the Korean War, in what was then a new war - the One Squadron / Two Squadron War! :lol:

Some awesome work there Sean! The detail you're adding to your Sabre is phenomenal! Nothing like a bit of kit-bashing either, to add to the head-scratching, but then the engineering solution juices get flowing!

Even as ATC's we weren't immune to the 1SQN/2SQN "rivalry"....I remember quite often sitting in FAHS TWR with Cheetah's screaming overhead announcing that they had taken the base and we in the tower were dead:lol: Later, the Billy-boys would launch a retaliatory strike! Boys having fun :lol::clap2:

Edited by IainM
Extra content