1/32 F-4E Chico the Gunfighter - Rebuild

Marcel111

Hey guys, I know my Chico build is yesterday's news around here. However, I unfortunately used Future on Gunze acrylic paint back then and it resulted in fine noticeable cracks. Given the effort I put into Chico I wanted to go back and correct this. At there same time there were some bloopers on my original build, for example the windows on the Rockeyes I mastered were too large.

The cracks were really deep so I had to sand down to plastic on the affected areas. For some reason the water from the wet sanding sort of silvered all decals that the sanding water came into contact with (I think it had to do with the Future underneath them), so in the end I reapplied about two thirds of the upper and about a third of the lower paint. I went for a slightly more weathered look than before. When I built Chico someone sent me a very rare pic of Chico being air refueled, unfortunately I lost the pic. I had to hence get a little creative with the stenciling and I think I got a little carried away with how much fun it was using those little Eduard masks, from memory the real thing had minimal stencils.

On the plus side there are now other pics of Chico out there, which amongst other things show that the nose gear door was painted red with white "Spooky II" lettering applied. I did this part by hand since I didn't want to have to wait for custom decals to be made and mailed. BTW the gunpods should actually say "Spooky II" on their noses also but I wasn't about to redo those. For this particular mission, Chico the standard gunpods were in service :-) I did correct the muzzle area of the pods a little, the tight fit made my initial attempt have the pods angled down somewhat. I think they look better now.

Here goes:

kGItbR.jpg

djwiP1.jpg

UaX397.jpg

E0LrI5.jpg

ROvMrA.jpg

ocYNe6.jpg

r5hyBo.jpg

i78OZD.jpg

xydDxM.jpg

NnfFOe.jpg

tnOw2q.jpg

d1FXLk.jpg

becxE7.jpg

Efsij2.jpg

On the tarmac:
GKCkC6.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

13 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Stunning. Which brand jetcans did you use (the first time around)?

Tony 

Thx Tony! Those are the Sierra Hotel exhausts. IMO the best game in town by far but ever so hard to get a hold of. I should be getting the new QMT exhausts shortly, will see how good they are.

Cheers,

Marcel

On 6 September 2020 at 3:58 PM, Marcel111 said:

Thx Tony! Those are the Sierra Hotel exhausts. IMO the best game in town by far but ever so hard to get a hold of. I should be getting the new QMT exhausts shortly, will see how good they are.

Cheers,

Marcel

Sorry to go slightly off-thread.  Have you got the QMT jetcans and how do they compare? They're designed for the Revell but I'm wondering if they'll work with the Tamiya — I can get two QMT sets for the cost of buying one American GT resin and having it shipped across the pond, and I need three sets!

Best F-4E I've seen built. The finish is so realistic. We so need a resin drop-in version of that gun breech access door you've scratched.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Sorry to go slightly off-thread.  Have you got the QMT jetcans and how do they compare? They're designed for the Revell but I'm wondering if they'll work with the Tamiya — I can get two QMT sets for the cost of buying one American GT resin and having it shipped across the pond, and I need three sets!

Best F-4E I've seen built. The finish is so realistic. We so need a resin drop-in version of that gun breech access door you've scratched.

Tony 

Tony, I ordered all the QMT stuff, as relevant for the F-4G, from Hannants, it’s on it’s way over here. Will post a little review when I receive the package, will compare the nose to the Tamiya nose and the exhausts to the benchmark SH exhausts.

Cheers,

Marcel