Handheld rechargeable battery air compressor - this is GOLD!

seiran01

I'm not usually one to plug cheap products that you can find on amazon under multiple brand names, but this one is just too useful for modellers - either when on the road or for beginners.  A handheld rechargeable battery powered airbrush compressor (with airbrush included).  The particular one I've been able to try is at this link on amazon, but if you search "battery airbrush compressor" on amazon you'll see multiple options from various sellers.

https://www.amazon.com/ROADTEC-Upgraded-Airbrush-Compressor-Rechargeable/dp/B07X5H2BRZ/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=handheld+airbrush+compressor&qid=1599334977&sr=8-12

I was able to use this particular one at my friend's place yesterday hooked up to his iwata, but I did also test out the basic airbrush that comes in the set and i think it'd be perfect as a beginner double action brush.  For such a low price, you get a handheld rechargeable air compressor with 30 minutes of battery life (if instructions are correct). The compressor has two pressure settings (about 20 and 25 psi), and this particular one I linked has an auto on/off feature as well. The airbrush included with the sets seem to all be double action; this one I used was either a 0.4mm or 0.5mm nozzle and there are some that have a finer 0.3mm as well.

Hobby shops should really look at carrying these things - no more need to keep buying compressed air cans if you don't want to spend a few hundred on a full size compressor!

I took a quick video on my phone that I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested in seeing it in action - send me a PM if you'd like me to send it to you.

Cheers,

Mike

There was a thread a while back about these. 

But there was no real world test. Now we know thanks for sharing the experience. 

One of the things i wondered when we had the initial discution is if one could put a short airbrush hose between the battery and the airbrush

There was? I wonder how on earth I missed that! 
I don’t think you’d be able to attach a hose, at least on the one I tried. On that one, you need to unscrew the “neck” of the airbrush if you’re putting a new brush on it. it attaches at the screw thread closer to the trigger than where a normal air hose attaches.

• 2 months later...

Hey Gent's

I'm circling back on this topic.  I want to know if these are the real deal?  I'm seeing them for really cheap pricing and I an interim airbrush compressor solution while my other compressors are in storage for the time being.   What are your thoughts?  Thanks in advance for sharing your experience in owning one.

Troy 

Most folks here probably already have an airbrush and compressor setup so I wouldn’t be surprised if no one has grabbed one yet... I’m holding onto mine to touch up paint around the house or modeling when I travel. For those uses I love it for the price even if I don’t end up using the included airbrush much. It’ll be a great Xmas gift for younger hobbyists or others looking to get into airbrushing I reckon 

Thanks for your reply Mike.  I have two compressor set ups but I move around five weeks ago and have both in storage at the moment while the wife and I are looking for a retirement house. We're staying with a relative currently and for the life of me I can't recall which storage facility I sent my Sparmax compressor.  Head slap on that one.  My brother in law has a pancake compressor and a 6 gallon storage tank so Im off to hardware store tomorrow to figure out what I actually need.  The battery hand held device looks like a cheap back up plan, however.  

Actually got one for my birthday back in September. Works pretty well—the compressor bit anyway. The brush is about what you pay for. Haven’t tried to hook it up to my others yet. Used it on my current Hellcat project and frankly it’s perfect for small little jobs like the cockpit or gear wells during construction. Battery lasts forever, so I’m going to try and paint the entire bird with it when the time comes.

Peter

I love the idea! I may have to grab one, because I only have a full size shop compressor, and it's a pain to get it set up and adjusted for my airbrush pressure, so laziness takes over and I put off painting because of it. This would be so easy, maybe I would paint more often. Especially if I could get spare battery packs.